Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please help, i'm having a lot of trouble with this, anyone who has installed gauge faces before please help me out here, i just need to know the best and proper way to wire the 12v and ground wires. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
What I did:

Found a fuse from the manual that would only supply power when the key was turned in the ignition. I *think* it was like #67. Plug your power in there. Then I found a black wire, which is universaly known as ground, and spliced into it. Not the cleanest or best way of doing it, but i haven't had a problem yet. Took me about 35-40 minutes for the complete install and hookup of the gauges, the biggest trouble was getting the gauges to set flat on the cluster so it didn't rub the needles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my instructions state to connect the wires from the gauge face to "lamps connected" together then connected to one EL wire connection on the inverter. does that mean i have to wire from the gauge to something else then into the inverter? sorry, i'm stupid and confused.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone who has installed speedhut gauges please let me know how you wired everything up, i would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You have to tough your + - on your battery just right, or it won't supply power, that's probably why they didn't work. i have the redline gauges, so i'mt not sure hows yours hooks up. I have the gauges, with the wire connected to it, there's an extension that connects to the transformer, then the transformer connects to the power source and has a switch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have the same type of gauge...how do i get it to work...stick the wire in a fuse slot? splice it to some other magical wire that will work????????????????

·
Registered
515 Posts
12V power wire goes to a power source that is on only when the car is on. The black wire goes to a ground source (a bolt connected to a metal brace, etc, or you can splice into another ground wire if you can't find a suitable bolt).

This is a very simple thing to do, if you don't feel confident in doing it, then I recommend you let someone do it for you.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Look in your owner's manual for a fuse to something that is only on when your car is on. Get power from there.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
its not too hard gauges are a simple install. i tapped into the power and ground wire into my light switch. this way when the lights turn on, the guages do, just like the factory oens, just leave the switch the gauges came with on all the time. then find which one behind your factory light switch is the power, and splice into it. i dont remember the color otherwise id help more. just use a test lamp

·
Registered
571 Posts
if you go through the fuse box, remeber that only one of the 2 pins on each fuse is a live 12v source. if you put it on the top pin of the fuse it wont work, that ones dead. it must be on the bottom pin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Bro. I may be able to help you. I just installed some blue lights in my car underneath the glove compartment and above the pedals. its looks very cool. anyway you wanted to know what the power cable was for the lights. the color is orange with a thin black stripe The one farthest to the left as you look at the plug. and use the thick black wire next to it for ground. Also I did not splice into the wires because I was hesitant to cut them and screw up instead I striped the ends of the wires I was adding and inserted them in the coresponding holes for the wires already attached to the light plug. Let me know if you need some pics to get a better picture of this. It took me a long time to figure which wires to use I even bought a Focus Wiring manual from ebay and let me tell you that if you dont know electrical schematics you are up crap creek without a padel. I hope this help you out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts