Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just started acting up today, basically the problem is when i turn on the car, the gauge turns on and everything works like its supposed to but when i turn the car off, the gas and temp gauge go down like normal but then they go back up like the car is back on when its not.

heres a video

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I have an 07 with the same cluster, have you looked at yours?

If you get it all apart and take it out find out what color the plug is if its gray like mine ill send you the extra one i have and you can see if its something in the cluster.

Pay shipping and ill send it to ya.

Im thinking your cluster plug is white but it might be the same as mine i mean it looks just like mine. Its worth a shot it shouldnt be more then $10-15. for shipping. Mine has 71K on the display.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hmmm both of the needles on the gauges go to midscale...

What happens if you fill your gas tank up all the way?
Will the fuel gauge needle still point at mid way OR will it point to full tank?

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Brower your cluster won't work in his car. The model years are too far off and they are different for spi or zetec compared to the duratecs as far as I know. Looks like aground issue to me. Check your wires, the big ones on the motor and also check the cluster or behind it. Have try searching for this problem cause I swear I've seen this same problem pop up on here before.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I searched for it but nothibg came up. Im sure if i fill the tank up it will go all the way to full. where it went on the video is how much gas i had. And i will take it out and check the wires behind it and take a picture and see if ur gauge will work. I actually wanted to switch to one with the rpms on it.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Reference: Ford Focus 2004 wiring manual

Three fuses supply power to your cluster
Hot at all times F2.36 7.5A
Hot in Run or Acc. F2.41 7.5A
Hot in Start or Run F2.61 7.5A

If the voltage appears as stated then perhaps it is a ground issue or a wacked out cluster

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heres a pic of the back of my cluster. I couldnt firgure out how to disconnect it.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
See that black thing on there? That's actually a clip. Pull it towards you, like you would be facing it in this pic. It will release the cluster. You can use any cluster from 00-04 with a tach as far as I know.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh ok i knew it had something to do with it but couldnt figure it out. And fyi when my car turns off they do move to half way no matter how much gas i have so yea.
Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 11 of 11 Posts