Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little brokus has come a long way since day one. Most of the mechanical and electrical issues are resolved, so I'm thinking its about time to move on to something else. Since my exhaust sounds like a drawn out wet fart, I figure I'll start there.

I've watched a good number of exhaust videos, and of the ones I've seen, I like the Borla catback and the FS Werks Stealth exhausts the best, but I'm not opposed to doing a custom job. I'm not going for an all out power build, but I don't want anything that'll compromise power either. I'm mostly looking to make it slightly quieter and significantly less raspy. I'm not opposed to having something custom made either. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Trump 2016
12,990 Posts
Go with oem svt all stainless. Sounds good and used 200 not bad deal. dont waste your money aftermarket is waste of money. Unless going turbo

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Go w/ the Borla system add a stealth ahead of the Borla muffler & do a orp.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck finding a used SVT exhaust though.
wasn't keen on stock systems I had heard. felixthecat, have you got a video or a link to one where I could hear a set up like that?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
No I don't. I'd jump on utube to get a idea what they sound like. IK you do a orp for a little more power/ response & w/ that you'd need a good muffler system to tone the noise down some. I'd do a 2 muffler, 1 resonator system using a mandrel bent 2,5'' ss piping.

·
Registered
262 Posts
im living in the uk, and we have a company called longlife exhausts, who make custom exhausts to customer's requirements,

im tuned by tom, and he recommended me to get a 3inch exhaust, as he done a test, and the 3inch exhaust freed up 7 to 9 wheel horse power,

people would argue that a 3 inch exhaust would be tooo loud, but the longlife company ensured me, that they could make a quiet 3inch system mandrel bend, ill keep you posted

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
im living in the uk, and we have a company called longlife exhausts, who make custom exhausts to customer's requirements,

im tuned by tom, and he recommended me to get a 3inch exhaust, as he done a test, and the 3inch exhaust freed up 7 to 9 wheel horse power,

people would argue that a 3 inch exhaust would be tooo loud, but the longlife company ensured me, that they could make a quiet 3inch system mandrel bend, ill keep you posted
Wow, thats cool your living over there= get to see a lot of cool cars too. I'd go w/ the 3'' setup.

·
Registered
262 Posts
cheers felix

just spoke with tom, and as i have a 2.5 inch race cat, he recons that going 3 inch cat back would hurt power, as you need a 3 inch cat to make the gains

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Sounds like your sticking w/ a 2.5'' setup then.

·
Registered
262 Posts
yep, but im sure ive got one of the fastest n/a st170;s in the uk, ive had 23 tunes with tom to perfect it,
my mods are

70mm cfm tb
180 degree thermo
motorcraft plugs correctly gapped
high octaine fuel
10mm ht leads
cfm dog bone mount
coil overs
cmfx250 clutch
cm light flywheel
cfm race cat
aem air fuel wideband
sts
toms fine tune

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Hey that sounds great...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the magnaflow cat back with an offroad pipe. It was raspy, loud, and sounded like a pissed off bumble bee on the freeway. I hated everything about it until I cut the 14 in magnaflow resonator out and replaced it with the 22 inch inch one of the same diameter. I love the sound of it now. It's not raspy. Its quiet until you really get into it and the freeway drone is only a little louder than factory.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm liking felix's idea of the Borla with Stealth. As it is right now, I had a local muffler shop install a Magnaflow Placeholder exhaust for $115. Quieted it down a bit, but has a weird tinny sound to it. I like his work, though, so I might go back to him and have him make an entire exhaust system for me, using the borla/FSW mufflers, and have him weld in new piping and a new tip for me. Will keep updated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts