Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I refuel when the fuel low warning light comes on. Although the owner's manual says that my ZX5 has a 14 gallon fuel tank, I've never been able to put in any more than 11 gallons. Can there be 3 gallons in the fuel lines or is the tank smaller than 14 gallons?[dunno]

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
My Contour also had 3 gallons left when the fuel light comes on.
Better than the new 2012 Focus where some folks get no light, and the computer can say 50 miles left and the person runs out of gas...
[mad]

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Yeah, that causes some people to think that their car is getting like 18 mpg. At least the people who don't know to divide the miles driven by the number of gallons put in by the pump.

Yes you do have about 4 gallons in reserve, and it is a 14 gallon tank. I've driven an extra 100 miles on the fuel in my tank after the light came on before. I still had a gallon left.

Now this is not something Ford does on every vehicle. My wife's Windstar light comes on, and she's only got like 2 gallons left in a vehicle that gets about 15 mpg around town. Really, you shouldn't run your vehicle very low on fuel anyway- if you like your fuel pump. It might not matter as much with returnless EFI systems like ours, but I know on the older systems where the pump ran continuously at the same speed fuel helps to keep the pump cool. When your fuel level dropped too low fuel pump life was reduced- in theory. I think not changing the fuel filter until the pump goes out caused premature pump failure more so than low fuel letting the pump heat up. I'm testing that theory, and I'm currently on my 6th filter at 130k miles.

Anyway, like Elizabeth wrote, I think it's a good thing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 07 does the same thing. If I put gas in the moment the fuel light comes on I can barely get 11 gallons in. The thing that bugs me is the when I fill my car up with gas the gas gauge will hardly move for the longest time an then it drops like a rock. My 94 Taurus did the same thing so did my old Ranger.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The device in a gas tank that send the level to the gas gauge is really very primitive.
It is a float on the end of a lever. So the lever can be installed poorly, the float can be offset. it can be bent. The lever connects to some sort of electrical gizmo that alters the electirc signal, and is pretty cheap, and can be nonlinear.. not rocket science!!!

One reason the gauge stays at the Full for a long time, and then drops fast is the sender float is bent low, so with a fill up it stays at max until several gallons are used.. All sorts of little flaws..but anything different would cost a LOT more.. and no way are cars co's gonna spend a lot on a fuel gauge.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have an ultra gauge installed on my car(pretty neat little toy) and it is like clock work for my 05,fuel low light always comes on when the ultra gauge says there is 2.5-3 gallons in the tank,have never put 14 gallons in the car because i don't like walking!!LOL[:p]

·
Registered
382 Posts
I use the tripmeter for each fillup. Techron Concentrate is supposed to help sending unit issues by cleaning up the contacts. The light on mine comes on just before the needle gets to the empty line...once the needle hits the line...I have maybe 1 G left.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts