Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've been shadowing this site for awhile now.

I'm not new to SVT's products. I am new to the SVTF.

I'm looking into buying one. It's primary purpose is to save me money in fuel, transporting my 7 month old son to and from daycare. I also want to take some of the miles off my Sport Trac. I drive a 2010 Saleen Supercharged Sport Trac Adrenalin AWD and my wife drives a 2011 Impreza STi Limited. Needless to say...they both pretty much suck on fuel economy. Especially the Sport Trac. I actually get about 14.5-15mpg with a 30/70 mix of city/highway.

So far I've seen some decent deals. I'm looking for a 2002-2003 SVTF ZX3 in Blue, Red or maybe even Silver with under 75,000 miles for less than $7,000. That all seems pretty realistic as far as my expectations purchasing the vehicle.

I need something that gets at least 10-15mpg better than my truck to make it worth spending the money.

Before I buy any vehicle, I always check out the mod potential and affordability.

I'd like to buy a full Zex Nitrous system for the SVT Focus, just for fun, once in awhile. If I need serious power...I'll just drive my 13:66 1/4 truck that I spent way to much money on and almost ruined my marriage!

This is what I'm thinking:

Zex 82030 Direct Port 4cyl Nitrous System (tuned to 75hp hit): $875
Zex Racer’s Tuning Kit: $308.95
Traction Control Window Switch: $167.48
Remote Bottle Valve Opener: $251.06
180* thermostat
Motorcraft AZFS 22C F4 Spark Plugs or Motorcraft spark plugs AZFS-22-FE
K&N Drop In Filter
Ported OEM Throttle Body
SCT X3 w/ custom tunes from "Tom" as he is the most highly recommened tuner from all the posts I've read....although his email on their website shows as mail status delivery failure. Anyone have a new email addy for him?

I planned on just using the OEM clutch and flywheel since I'm really not going to be pounding it and I actually don't want the noise from the lightweight flywheels that you all have mentioned on this forum.

What else should I add to my mod list?

Thank you all, in advance, for your contribution to this thread.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Well welcome to your first post then. Since you have lurked on site for sometime.

The SVT Focus gets around 25-28mpg on average. I get around 25-26 and I have heard of some guys getting around 30mpg. But that's about it. Spirited driving you will get around 22-26mpg on average.

As for your mods, well, I am not a fan of Nitrous, but what you have there seems suffice enough. A local friend put NOS on his SVT and after 10 pulls on the stock motor it finally busted his transmission. So, for me, I stay away from it.

Other good mods, I would recommend a Short Throw Shifter for some easier shifts and a HFC (High Flo Cat) to get a few more bumps in power. That's about it, since you already have the Tune in mind.

Good luck on deciding on buying an SVT and finding one that is a price you would want to pay for.

-Ray-

·
Registered
427 Posts
good list but your going to break something oneday :( and on a side note I looked up the adrenaline sport tracks and those are sexy! nice truck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I probably will lol. I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I'd really like to try nitrous on something and I figured a 5-7grand fuel sipper would be the perfect vehicle. However, paying for the Prem octane and the n2o would eventually counterbalance the savings. And if there are no savings, I'd rather just drive my truck lol.

All the stock map SVTF's take premium octane yes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good list but your going to break something oneday :( and on a side note I looked up the adrenaline sport tracks and those are sexy! nice truck!
This is my second Adenalin and it's amazing. It's faster than my 99 Lightning was. I like the tran better in the L though. These 6R80 trans have peanuts for mod or mod potential.

I have some dyno vids of my truck on YouTube:

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MoiSi-xrFw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah. Seriously though, it doesn't cost much more in the long run. 3.43 for 93 octane is my current price, so its still better than what gas was a few months back. Really wouldn't suggest skimping on fuel. However, I've gotta agree about the Nos. Id look for a used JRSC instead for the price. I plan on boosting mine in the spring, but that's a bit over your ballpark on pri

Let us know how the nos route goes if you see it through. Maybe with some reserve it'll hold up longer than others have see.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Along the lines of the price of premium, when you think about it , its not that big of a difference at fill up, even if you run the tank near dry on an SVT and have to put the 12 gallons it takes to fill it up, at 20 cent over regular you're only spending 2.40 on the extra 40 horsepower you get by having an SVT over a regular zx3, and I've gotten a regular 29.x mpg with my svt on the long 3 hour highway pull to my college, around town varies from 25 when I'm being peaceful down to an all time low of 19 when I'm on the loud pedal constantly (young and stupid)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
20 cents per gallon is like $1000 a year in my truck lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't do a reg ZX3 because they have like ....no balls!

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
my buddy has the Adrenalin in red.

good luck with your purchase. I absolutely love my svt and i havent adding much powerwise.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
If im doing 100% highway I'll get 29-30 mpgs.

Anything less than that and combined mileage is in the 22-26 mpg.

100% city driving for me (Miami, literally stop and go every mile or less) mileage goes below 20.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
i average between 25/27 with my normal driving habits.[driving][race] i've gotten up to 33 with roadtrip high way mileage.

·
Registered
386 Posts
When I had my SVTF the in town mpg was not all that good. But the highway MPG was bout 30. Note: When i say not all that good I am referring to a 4cylinder mpg. After the focus got totaled I got a new truck now I am getting almost 15 mpg. I do miss my 6spd.

·
Registered
455 Posts
i will trade u straight up lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha, no thanks!

I've found a bunch of sonic blue, red and silver SVTF out there. Looking for under 50,000 miles 02+ with little cosmetic damage and no structural rust. I'm just going to run it NA as a fuel saver so I'd like it stock.

·
Registered
427 Posts
This is my second Adenalin and it's amazing. It's faster than my 99 Lightning was. I like the tran better in the L though. These 6R80 trans have peanuts for mod or mod potential.

I have some dyno vids of my truck on YouTube:

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MoiSi-xrFw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
That truck is awesome! lol And yes I can definetly see the tranny in the lightning being better though, i saw the 0-60 in the related videos and the transmission shifts very slowly lol but yours is probably alot faster of a shift because of tuning and all

1 - 20 of 25 Posts