Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'05 2.0

When the outside temp gets below about 50 degrees my gas pedal sticks when I let off of it. I then have to press fairly hard to break it loose to accelerate again which causes essentially a throttle blip while in gear every time I come off the gas and get back on it. Hopefully I have explained this well enough.

Any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I meant. I guess I wasn't clear. When I let off the gas the pedal sticks in the idle position causing me to have to break it loose.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Happens to me too. It gets stuck "up", just to put it differently.
It happens more often when I'm driving at freeway speeds.

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Take the intake tube off, open the throttle (either manually, or have a friend floor the gas pedal) and spray the inside of the throttle body with carburator cleaner or brake parts cleaner. clean the entire inside of it with a rag. if that doesnt fix the problem, remove the plastic throttle linkage cover and spray the throttle shaft and spring with white lithium grease.

Matt

·
Registered
19 Posts
Spraying any kind of cleaner directly in the TB will result in carbon buildup at the bottom of the intake manifold. use a rag sprayed heavily with carb cleaner and open the butterfly using one hand by twisting the throttle connector to open it and wipe until there is no carbon buildup.

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
I have never had a problem with it. I guess i should specify that you are not spraying it to blow the carbon off the walls, but more to saturate it so you can wipe it off. Spraying a rag also works.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine had some gunk buildup inside the throttle body wall. I found that I could, without help, push the lever down to rotate the butterfly valve and get it cleaned but I had to use a dry graphite lubricant. I normally use it for lube-ing motorcycle cables. It worked right away. I did use a WD40 imitation that cleaned out some of the gunk but it still was stiff until I put the graphite in there. It's like butter now.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm Havin this problem with mine today. Cruising at 75 (cruise set), sometimes it sticks as I push the accelerator from the top and sometimes it doesnt. Took the intake off and the butterfly is filthy. I plan on taking off the TB when I get home and clean it. Is there a gasket I'll have to replace or no?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
No need to pull it off, just clean it with the intake hose you already removed off....

·
Registered
35 Posts
My SVT has been having this same problem for awhile now. Last weekend, I got into the throttle body and cleaned it up with some Berryman's B-12 and then gave the pivot points on the plate a small shot of WD40. It worked flawlessly after that but has started to stick again. Would it be advisable to give the pivot points a small shot of some kind of lube and then wipe it out?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Wouldn't hurt, WD-40 is a great cleaner & solvent for oily messes - I've used it for MANY purposes from Bicycle days on up... It cleans things & leaves a protective lubricant layer behind....

Residue from fuel is a particular PITA, and you MAY have not gotten rid of enough of it. I'd just repeat the process & you should be good....

Luck!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wouldn't hurt, WD-40 is a great cleaner & solvent for oily messes - I've used it for MANY purposes from Bicycle days on up... It cleans things & leaves a protective lubricant layer behind....

Residue from fuel is a particular PITA, and you MAY have not gotten rid of enough of it. I'd just repeat the process & you should be good....

Luck!
I agree with lubricating using WD-40 with one caveat. The residue WD-40 leaves behind will gum up after a while. Not sure if the manufacturers recommend lubrication or not though.

My experience with fuel injection (going back 21 years) is that blow-by when the intake valves open will create a varnish and gummy deposit inside the intake. You have to open the butterfly wide open, spray throttle body cleaner in and scrub both sides of the butterfly with a soft toothbrush. Then wipe it and the surrounding intake bore down with a clean cloth.

Another thing that helps is a combustion chamber cleaning aerosol used for this purpose. It connects to a true vacuum source (PCV usually) and is sprayed into the vacuum line while the engine runs at about 1500 to 1800 RPM. When the white smoke starts coming out the tail pipe, you're done and the can is usually close to empty, although many of these aerosol products are designed for V-8 engines so you may only need to use half a can. Cleans EGR and O2 sensor too. Adding a pro grade fuel injector cleaner to the gas completes this cleanout.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just cleaned my throttle body myself. I had the sticky pedal thing when it got below 15 degrees. A little wd-40 whipped her into shape though and the gas pedal feels much smoother.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is sticking to when I let off the gas pedal or stop pushing it and the outside temp is below 50 outside temp or Wind Chill is below 50. If anyone tries the above fix let me know if it works

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
X2 to the WD40 gumming up like sticky bubblegum after the VOC cooks out of it. That stuff would stick up the strongest throttle cable. WD works great as long as you chase it but that gum almost impossible to remove once it reduces down to it.

Also, even though most troubles seem to be TB itself, do not discount the cable, they do wear to stick, they need lube too. Hard to do that though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts