Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the store tonight - everything working fine.

When got in the car to leave the gas pedal was as hard as a rock. Car starts and idles fine, but ZERO travel on the pedal.

Floor mat is clear, couldn't find any other problems by feeling around (pitch dark). Switched off, pushed on the pedal as hard as I could. Just like pushing on a rock. Took a cab home.

2005 ZX3. No problems with the gas pedal before.

Can the dreaded throttle body problem come on this bad and this fast, with no warning? Anything else this could be?

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Can the dreaded throttle body problem come on this bad and this fast, with no warning? Anything else this could be?
Probably, and yes it can do that. The cable can seize up as well. You need to figure out which one it is by removing the air intake tube at the throttle body under the hood. That will give you access to the front of the throttle plate. Now reach under the plastic cover that's right there, and feel for the throttle linkage. It might help if you have a screwdriver, and 5/16 nut driver with you to remove the plastic cover over the throttle linkage. That will help you understand what that part does- and expose the end of the throttle cable. You should be able to work the throttle linkage by hand. The cable pulls on the throttle linkage, so seeing the cable will give you the direction to try to move it. Once you get it to move, then use a rag and any kind of cleaner (Windex will do) that has alcohol in it, and you should be able to clean all the crud off the bottom and top of the throttle body while holding the throttle plate in the middle. Test it, and see if it moves freely under the hood now, if so, then go sit back in the seat and see if it works well there also.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, whynotthinkwhynot. I looked at lots and lots of posts about the TB problems on this forum last night, and your reply here is the most descriptive I have seen.

Having had this car only since early summer and having not wrenched into anything under the hood yet, this is very helpful for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts