Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious...

I own a 2005 Focus with a 2.0 Duratech engine, 5-speed.

I only get about 25 MPG. It seems really low. I don't baby the car for mileage, but it seems like I should be getting more like 30 MPG or so. It also does not seem to make a difference if it is highway or city driving...It is always about 25 MPG maybe 26 MPG on highway...

What kind of mileage are you guys getting on your cars?

No mods, just stock.

The car runs great and the power of the stock four banger is good, it is fun to drive.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
What speed are you running on the Highway? With my 2005 ZXW ATX I typically get 24-26 MPG in the City (depending upon A/C usage), and 32-34 on the Highway at 60 mph. Once you get above 60-65 MPH on the highway, MPG declines rather rapidly, particularly if it is hilly, there is a headwind, and/or you have the A/C on.

And, of course, that highway MPG means true highway driving, e.g., a mostly constant speed with no use of the brakes for 30 minutes or more at a time.

Of course, I tend to drive for mileage, probably only go WOT maybe once a month at most, and anticipate traffic lights, minimizing needless acceleration and heavy braking to the next Red light. A light foot and smooth driving that minimizes use of the brakes goes a long way towards good MPG.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I too have bee fairly disappointed with the mileage of my '05 ZX3 2.0L 5spd. I typically get 24-27mpg. So last fill up, I decided I was going to see what I could squeeze out of it if I accelerted slowly and shifted with the shift light. How was I rewarded? A whopping 28.3mpg.

This is disappointing to me because 2 of my previous cars ('99 and '01 Formulas) had about 180 more horsepower and got 25mpg on a fairly regular basis and I got 27-28 a few times with my '99. So anyhow, both of them were just as efficent as my 2.0L Duratec.

My '02 Jetta 1.8T with GIAC chip, full exhaust, CAI etc. still got 25mpg or so running around at 18psi. Then, there was my '03 Mustang GT that was the most heavily modded car I've had with Comp Cams Stage II cams, long-tube headers, pullies, CAI, upper plenum, 3.73s and more. It would click off 12.9s at the track and still return 23-24 mpg on the highway.

Then, there were my winter cars. My '88 Lincoln Mark VII LSC that I used as a winter car to keep my '01 Formula out of the snow had 173k miles on it and it still got 23-25mpg. My '90 Sentra that I drove as a daily driver and winter car from '01-'05 consistently got 31-34mpg.

I almost wish I'd never started grad school so I could have afforded to keep the Mustang and Sentra. However, in the long run I'll be better off and I guess I can live with a 16-second car that only gets 24-27mpg for now.

·
Registered
420 Posts
curtis817 said:
Just curious...

I own a 2005 Focus with a 2.0 Duratech engine, 5-speed.

I only get about 25 MPG. It seems really low. I don't baby the car for mileage, but it seems like I should be getting more like 30 MPG or so. It also does not seem to make a difference if it is highway or city driving...It is always about 25 MPG maybe 26 MPG on highway...

What kind of mileage are you guys getting on your cars?

No mods, just stock.

The car runs great and the power of the stock four banger is good, it is fun to drive.
Something is not right. I have an SVT with a tune, and I just got 26mpg in city driving (usually between 21 and 24, depending on how hard I get on the throttle). You should be seeing a bit more than I could achieve.

Check the basics - plug condition and gap, make sure the right plugs are in the car (yes, it does happen from the factory!), air filter, oil condition and level (condition gives an idea of the health of the car).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for all the posts guys.

I check highway mileage when I go see my family and it is a 300 mile drive round trip all interstate. I do go between 70 and 80 MPH though and would have to guess that is why my highway mileage isn't much better then city. I am easy on the fuel in town with the 5-speed easy shifts relativily low RPM's maybe 2000-2500. Until the urge hits me every couple of days to throttle wide open from a light and I go all out, 6500-6750 shifts from 1 to 2nd to get a nice 2nd gear scratch (that is what impressed me the most when test driving this car). I was very surprized by it esp. since it didn't act like it was killing the motor to perform it.

The car only has 9,200 miles and the oil looks wonderfull. First brand new car I have bought. I also love being able to add the factory spec amount of oil and see it sitting exactly on the full mark when I am done! instead of having a half a quart of sluge taking up space.

I too have had other cars and heres the mileage I used to get with them,

I used to drive a mercury topaz 93, with a 2.5L auto trans and it would be a solid 25 MPG interstate 70 to 80 MPH. (big dam 4 banger, but little power).

I also had a old 93 geo prizm with 130,000 miles on it, with a 1.8L, auto trans and it would get 33 MPG interstate going 70 to 80 MPH so when I got the focus I assumed the 2.0 with 5-speed would get about 30 interstate... Oh-well.

So many people think these cars get such wonderfull mileage and it is the first thing I tell them is that mileage is at best medicore.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Um, I think I am going to have to go against the grain here and say that I think you guys are getting pretty good mileage.

The Focus gets fantastic mileage all-around...especially if you don't drive it hard. I can't believe people are not happy with 26+ MPG? Try driving a truck and getting 11mpg and get some perspective.

Another (more realistic perspective) would be a comparison to my GF's 2005 Acura RSX, Automatic which gets no better than 24.5 MPG with 60% or MORE FREEway driving! That's the infamous HONDA motor folks, and her car cost about $10k more than my Focus...and yet I get 28~ MPG with 80% city 20% freeway driving and to be honest, I probably baby it half the time and drive moderately aggressively the rest of the time.

I've even hit 30 MPG mixed with 65%~ CITY driving!

So, I guess you are a few MPG lower than me, but driving habits probably make up the difference. the only thing I have done to my car is add the "stealth CAI" ie removed stock airbox and add a cone filter. I haven't even had my first oil change yet!! [thumb]

Also, where do you buy gas? Bad gas can produce 5-15% LESS power and mileage than quality top tier gas. I use SHELL from a high volume shell station only...and no complaints here.

Maybe try a new brand and/or station.

You really would be surprised to find the vast majority of cars out there do NOT get 26 MPG or better, despite EPA claims or otherwise.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Also remeber that the goverment is adding alot more ethenol to gas and that make the gas less effieicent. But my milage has varied from a one time 34mpg to the average 27mpg both of those were with my old motor R.I.P my new/used motor has been getting about 25 mpg which kinda dissapoints me but I have a Zetec and I know that the cam timming is diferent between each motor.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I used to have a 2003 ZX3 with Zetec, but I traded for a 2005 ZX3 Duratec with A/C.

Even if I'm not using the AC, the Zetec machine was more efficient. ~34mpg highway vs 30mpg highway

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
I too have bee fairly disappointed with the mileage of my '05 ZX3 2.0L 5spd. I typically get 24-27mpg. So last fill up, I decided I was going to see what I could squeeze out of it if I accelerted slowly and shifted with the shift light. How was I rewarded? A whopping 28.3mpg.
at least how I follow this post it sounds like you are driving city i.e. lower than 50 mph most of the time and if that is the case then I think 28mpg in the city is nothing to snoot at.

Most 4 cylinder cars have major mileage decrease at 75+

I know my SVT gets 30-31 at 75. It is pulling 3100 rpm and that is getting up there. 65 mph will probably nail you mid 30's.

·
Registered
197 Posts
One thing you could try doing is disconnecting your battery to reset the ECU and then drive conservatively for a day or two. See if that improves things.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"I do go between 70 and 80 MPH though and would have to guess that is why my highway mileage isn't much better then city."

Next trip give up 30-60 minutes to science, drive it 60-65 MPH, and see what mileage you get. I'm betting it will increase quite a bit. Smaller engined cars like the Focus have a rather steep mileage falloff at higher loads/speeds.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yeah, well all of you can just shut the hell up with "I only get 25mpg and I don't know what to do." Try getting about 13-15mpg at best on a new Focus. Then you have the right to bitch and moan about gas mileage. Until then, you got nothing on me. K, bye.

[:D]

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Hmmm, my '04 PZEV got almost 34 MPG on a 650 mile drive at a pretty constant 75 mph... so I'm pretty happy after reading the rest of the notes on this thread...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Next time I go on a trip I will keep it at 65 and see whats happens and maybe I will reset the ECU too.

Thanks for all the advice.

15 MPG tdkaye1? you got a real prob. somewhere with it that low. I have a 302 in a old stang that gets that mileage.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yeah, but no CEL lights, or anything to suggest something is wrong. I'm wondering since it's an '06 that probably sat most of the model year if that would have something to do with it? Dunno....

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"Try getting about 13-15mpg at best on a new Focus."

Something is very wrong. If it was running that rich, I would think the cat would be melted in short order. And if there was something dragging and loading engine, such as brakes, I would think it would be smoking by now.

Any chance someone is stealing gasoline from your car?

·
Registered
531 Posts
mvhudson said:
Hmmm, my '04 PZEV got almost 34 MPG on a 650 mile drive at a pretty constant 75 mph... so I'm pretty happy after reading the rest of the notes on this thread...
I've found through experience that mileage doesn't seem to change noticeably whether going 90km/h or 130km/h even though it should get a better mileage at 90km/h theoretically.

·
Registered
696 Posts
penguin said:
"Try getting about 13-15mpg at best on a new Focus."

Something is very wrong. If it was running that rich, I would think the cat would be melted in short order. And if there was something dragging and loading engine, such as brakes, I would think it would be smoking by now.

Any chance someone is stealing gasoline from your car?
lol, highly unlikely. The level doesn't drop THAT much. I thought the brakes would be the most likely source, but I've examined other ZX4 brakes and they look to be hitting the same and such. Dunno....

·
Registered
369 Posts
itsme said:
I used to have a 2003 ZX3 with Zetec, but I traded for a 2005 ZX3 Duratec with A/C.

Even if I'm not using the AC, the Zetec machine was more efficient. ~34mpg highway vs 30mpg highway
thats the funny part my duratec gets anywhere from 2-4MPG more then my fiencees Zetec, expect here lately i have droped from 32-34 MPG to 26-27 both figures are running about 75-90 with 85% interstate driving [thumb] go focus

i use to get about 33 in my prelude and beat the hell outta that car ran mid/high 15s little free mods

even my dodge shadow with a shot motor leaking[?|] 12Q of oil a week got 28mpg with a 98hp 2.5

note all cars are 5sp[thumb] [?|]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts