Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to get concerned/pissed with the gas mileage I'm getting. Especially when I keep seeing all these 50+ MPG threads popping up.

Now at ~3500 miles on the car. Been getting 25-26 MPG on each tank, tried both regular (87) and premium (93) for multiple tanks in a row, and I don't notice a difference in performance or MPG. Gas here is all 10% ethanol. [mad]

I commute into DC every day, so a lot of my driving is stop & go highway driving, but it's not like I'm sitting in traffic for hours per day.

Now that the weather has started getting better I've tried keeping the A/C off as much as possible...doesn't seem to help.

I've even tried resetting the MPG calculator when going down the highway and not in traffic....the best I've ever seen over a 15-20 mile stretch is 34 MPG.

I do not drive like a maniac...I almost always have the "advanced eco driver" trophy on my display....not that it is very hard to do.

Does my mileage seem acceptable for my commute/driving type? Anyone have any ideas why the mileage is low? My previous commuter was a beater '95 Accord Wagon and I was getting the same/better mileage out of it. Something seems off here....

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I commute into DC every day...
Well, there's your problem right there! 26mpg seems a little low, though - even with city driving. I'm averaging over 38mpg according to my fuelly - but I drive mostly non-congested highway (50-65mph). Can't give you much insight as to what the problem is, but you might have one seeing as how the average is around 31mpg (which coincidentally is the EPA estimated combined driving average).

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
To get the high mpg the driving has to have almost zero stops and even zero touch the brake pedal driving, and driving slow, only mild barely touching the gas pedal..
Where I live there are streets with four lanes, and stoplights only every few miles.
Other streets are more normal.
I try hard to drive on the no stop streets, and NOT in rush hour.
Rush hour traffic, and even a stop/touch the brakes every few blocks really kills the gas mileage.
One stop light the mpg drops as much as .3mpg..
So it is not easy to get the super mpgs.
Then accelerating like you are 85 years old.. real sloooowwwwwww. If you do not that costs mpg.
So do not feel bad that you are not CRAZY! and drive like a great great great grandpa. I drive like greatgreatgreat grandma. It is FUN, but then i AM crazy...[8]

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
It's really quite simple...the more you have to stop then accelerate up to a high speed again the worse your mileage will be. Lots of stop and go traffic WILL hurt your mileage considerably.

The only time I'm able to top 35mp is if going under 70mph on the free way and never touching the brakes. And if there's any inclines or tight-ish turns then having the cruise on will often hurt mileage as well. To get the really good economy you have to really drive the car just right.

You can't expect your car to get the same mileage as others who are going a steady 45-60 mph on level roads, when you're in stop and go all the time. Two completely different scenarios, and it's not the vehicle's fault. There probably aren't too many four wheel vehicles out there that can pull 50mpg driving like you do.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
You can't expect your car to get the same mileage as others who are going a steady 45-60 mph on level roads, when you're in stop and go all the time. Two completely different scenarios, and it's not the vehicle's fault. There probably aren't too many four wheel vehicles out there that can pull 50mpg driving like you do.
I agree. Even hypermiling can only get you so far. I bought this car knowing that I drive almost all highway miles. If I planned on doing city driving, I would've gone Fusion Hybrid. Either way, your 26mpg still sounds low and I hope that goes up in time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My mileage is about the same as the OP. I have a 4 mile commute to work, all city, with 4 stop lights that I have to stop at pretty much every morning. I was getting 22-23 when I first got the car, but now it's around 25-26 mpg with about 3500 miles on the car. I found the other day that I get better mileage in sport mode if I shift manually at about 2500 rpm's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think the posts of 50+ mpg are suspect for a full tank of gas. Maybe 50 mpg with no acceleration and for a short distance. But likely not "normal" driving

I drive stop and go freeway commute. On my 25 mile commute I average about 25 mph and 30-31 mpg. The best freeway mpg I've gotten with normal driving is 42 mpg

If you have 17 or 18" wheels this could contribute to your lower mpg. Google wheel size and it's affect on car performance and handling. I'm referring to wheel size and not tire size. On the focus the tire O/D is essentially the same regardless of wheel size.

There is some evidence that The unsprung weight of a larger and heavier wheel may be a contributing factor to your lower mpg. The effects of the unsprung weight in this instance may be more pronounced due to the repeated accelerations of stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've managed 42.5 MPG (Grandma driving) in the city before. 38 MPG is my overall average (90% City/10% Highway) when I'm not driving it like a race car, 28 MPG when I am.

Smoothness is key. Also, the vehicle takes a while to break in, but when it does -- MPG gold!

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I've managed 42.5 MPG (Grandma driving) in the city before. 38 MPG is my overall average (90% City/10% Highway) when I'm not driving it like a race car, 28 MPG when I am.

Smoothness is key. Also, the vehicle takes a while to break in, but when it does -- MPG gold!
I have very similar results averaging around 38-39mpg. Managed +45mpg going 50-55 mph on the highway (NOT easy when everyone else is going +80mph in Illinois - strangely enough, the speed limit is 55mph). Mostly highway miles myself with the 18" allows. The higher pressure and material does qualify them as GreenX LRR tires, though. [thumb]

svcook is right, though. The increase weight as well as increased moment of inertia by moving the mass away from the rotating axis can impede performance. I'll be putting 15" steelies and winter tires on my car (probably winter-specific LRR) and see how my mileage changes!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do you have the Kysor shutters? They help net you +3mpg.

Have you planned your trips to use as many right turns as possible/ avoid lights? Look at the layout and find which way has the least amount of grade difference- less hilly.

Try pumping up the front tires to 44psi and leave the rears at 36-38psi.

Pick your commute and learn to drive it on a Sunday or late at night when no one is on the street. Time the lights so you're not stopping completely at them.

Use your car to slow you down and stay away from the brakes.-*big one.

If you have inclines, accelerate downhill and use the momentum to carry you up the next hill.

Try to keep steady presure on the gas pedal instead of stomping on it. Engines are typically most efficient at 80% of WOT, so babying it doesn't necessarily save gas. But, stomping on it does decrease mpg's

Park in reverse so when you start you car you can idle out of the spot saving gas and ease up on the cold transmission. (cold axles, tranny, bearings, tires, brakes all have an effect on gas mpg as well as the cold engine. This will also help extend the life of components).

Don't idle your car. If stopped at long lights or train tracks, kill the engine and start it back up when you're ready to move. Also, don't idle in the driveway. Get in adjust yourself, buckle up then start the car.

**Try packing your Golf clubs, disc golf discs or a fishing pole. When I get stuck in traffic sometimes I pull over and kill an hour doing anything but driving in traffic, hell the pub is a good way to kill an hour. I honestly can stop to fish for an hour and I only show up 20 mins later to the house vs sitting in traffic.

[strongman]
Good MPG's is more about your driving than modding your car. But mods help. Just like toning your body at the gym, it takes dedication, knowledge and time.

focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread- kysor shutters

ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed

·
Registered
291 Posts
We have a 2012 Titanuim with 17" rims and tires. We live in Nashville, TN. We get about 30 to 36 MPG driving 70 and a little above on interstate. The higher the speed the lower the MPG. My wife who has a heavy foot, her nickname is Mario, gets about 26-28 in town. I get about 28-32. Our milage has improved as we have more miles on the car now about 8,000. It seems after about 5,000 miles our MPG got s little better after the first oil change.

Your milage sounds a little low but with start and stop heavy traffic driving it may be about right. I would check with your dealer. Good luck.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sounds like the DC traffic is most of the problem here. Just try to use engine braking instead of brakes, plus moderate acceleration. That's a tough place to drive. You should take it on a long highway trip and see how it does.

I have been averaging about 37mpg (combination 70 mph highway/back roads). The lowest I've seen is 33.5, highest 38mpg (on a long highway trip) - hand calculated; keep in-mind, I don't have the Kysor shutters and am using recommended air pressure.

I don't see how you could average even close to 50 mpg with one of these cars. The trip computer instant mileage over a couple miles is meaningless to me (no offense meant!).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sounds like the DC traffic is most of the problem here. Just try to use engine braking instead of brakes, plus moderate acceleration. That's a tough place to drive. You should take it on a long highway trip and see how it does.

I have been averaging about 37mpg (combination 70 mph highway/back roads). The lowest I've seen is 33.5, highest 38mpg (on a long highway trip) - hand calculated; keep in-mind, I don't have the Kysor shutters and am using recommended air pressure.

I don't see how you could average even close to 50 mpg with one of these cars. The trip computer instant mileage over a couple miles is meaningless to me (no offense meant!).

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Just try to use engine braking instead of brakes, .
Engine braking? WHAT engine braking? there IS NONE!
I have a manual tranny 2012 Focus, and the IAC and assorted ari pollution controls make it IMPOSSIBLE to have ANY engine braking. (unless parts of the system are disabled)
((If the IAC is tampered with, and varous tubes are blocked or partially blocked,
And the EGR valve blocked THEN one COULD possibly have some engine braking. But then the smog police would arrest you! (unless you are some rural type))).

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a 6 speed auto and down shifting it in the S position breaks the car. I think that is what was meant instead of a compression break.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2012 will not coast to a stop. The RPM's stay at 1500 and the speed at 15 mpg until the brake is applied. Could this adversely affect gas mileage?

·
Registered
444 Posts
if i do any city driving my mileage goes from 6.5L/100km to 7+

the mileage in the car significantly drops with stop and go traffic of any kind...at least mine does.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Went out to try another 62mph run. even worse mpg.. only 40.0 mpg. I had already stopped driving 65 or even 60 in 65 zones, and just drive 55mph and "Heck" with anyone annoyed.
So i really can say i get way-better gas mileage at 55mph than 60 or 62 or 65mph.
The frugal zone is from 32mph up to about 52mph.. with 55 not to terrible.
Lucky for all the 65mph freeway drivers.. I seldom am on a 65mph freeway.

Also, tonight my ""gasoline tank nearly empty"" light came on with about 2.3 gallons left. Perfect.
Light came on, I drive 18 more miles, and put in 10.4 gallons to fill.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Rules that apply for the life of the car:
- When the engine is cold rev the engine to at least 2,500 rpms.
- When the engine is warmed up rev the engine to no less than 3,000 rpms.
- Babying the engine is detrimental and will lead to issues with compression if done so for very long.

First 1,000 miles
- Keep rpms below 3,800.
- Avoid steady rpms.
- Frequent firm application of power is strongly recomended up to 3,800 rpm. Avoid the use of cruise control so that you naturally fluctuate the power with your foot.
This is a great advice I followed for the breaking in period. Maybe the fact that you were babying your engine from the first time, gives you now the low mpg. One thing I sure know : everything is about how you drive it, but also how was it "breaking in".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts