Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i 've got the f2 header 2 weeks ago and installed it last week.
since then i have seen bad gas mileage. i put in a full tank, right now i have a HALF tank of gas and only drove it for 100 miles. do you guys think that this is normal or is something is wrong with the car. i have I/H/E.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
did you pull the negative battery cable when you installed your IHE?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry to steal your thread but the title is gas mileage. I just uprgraded my wheels from 15s to 18s so I decided to see if it effected my MPG. Well I filled up and drove all highway for 168 miles and filled up again and only used 3.93 gallons. I drove at 60 with no AC and windows closed. Who needs a Hybrid?????????

Cicero lets us know if your MPG stabilized after the reset.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Sorry to steal your thread but the title is gas mileage. I just uprgraded my wheels from 15s to 18s so I decided to see if it effected my MPG. Well I filled up and drove all highway for 168 miles and filled up again and only used 3.93 gallons. I drove at 60 with no AC and windows closed. Who needs a Hybrid?????????

Cicero lets us know if your MPG stabilized after the reset.
No offense, but I'm having a hard time comprehending the mileage increase with bigger/heavier wheels.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
A larger overall diameter wheel/tire than stock will net you better mileage on the highway. You are travelling more distance with one rotation of the tire than with the small tire. In essence changing the gearing slightly. Acceleration will be detrimented though.

·
Registered
465 Posts
where im at its about 1.89-1.99 for 93 oct. and btw i have been getting bad gas mileage since i got my header too! i am running one o2 short an w/ a CEL too! i cant get better than 23 mpg!

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
where im at its about 1.89-1.99 for 93 oct. and btw i have been getting bad gas mileage since i got my header too! i am running one o2 short an w/ a CEL too! i cant get better than 23 mpg!
Get a tune for the 93. It will help out with mileage a little bit. The car tends to rich out the mixture especially after the header.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
A larger overall diameter wheel/tire than stock will net you better mileage on the highway. You are travelling more distance with one rotation of the tire than with the small tire. In essence changing the gearing slightly. Acceleration will be detrimented though.
anything gained on the highway will be lost in city driving due to the heavier weight.

and with acceleration being affected, the right foot will have to make up for that, given a constant speed (which is rare in daytime on the interstate) a bigger tire will theoretically net more mileage, the change will be minor when compared to the losses in the city. If you can find an 18" that (those look like zinik minardis = about 10 lbs heavier per wheel than stock 15= 40 lbs unsprung weight) is the same weight then yeah go for it. But you wont really increase mileage until you go for a lightweight 16".

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
No one said anything about city driving here. He said the mileage was obtained on the highway and so I referenced from this.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
wasn't trying to call you out or anything, just dont want people to get 18" inch wheels and expect a hybrid. Alot of people take things at face value when they hear about it on forums.

·
Registered
774 Posts
My I/H/E combo and 93 tune is getting me about 250+ miles on 11 gallons, mixed driving. I used to do 280-320 before the add-ons. I usually get about 270 in the summer now.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
wasn't trying to call you out or anything, just dont want people to get 18" inch wheels and expect a hybrid. Alot of people take things at face value when they hear about it on forums.
True. People would only see good gains on strictly highway driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys talking about mileage.....reading your threads...I must have something wrong with my ZX3 because on a full tank I get around 225 on 87octane no mods (stock). My last car was a 95 civic and with a cold air kit,15's rims and the A/C on all the times, filling with 93 I was doing between 230 and 250. I'm on the highway allot very rare driving local. I usually keep a steady 60-65 miles when riding. No CEL has appeared on my dash and I have change all filters,oils and sparks. Do you guys might have a clue whats going on? Really appreciated any comments

Thanks

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
^^^Well your car being a 2000 it probably has a decent amount of miles on it. You say everything has been maintained right? The plugs, plug wires, fuel/oil filters, PCV valve, blah blah blah. Soooo yeah. (sorry its late. i feel weird...) Anyway. I would change out your upstream o2 sensor. This controls the air/fuel ratio in just daily driving and it wears out with use. Replace the sensor and disconnect the negative battery cable during the install. This will reset your ECU and let it relearn its fuel trim strategies using the new sensor. Also buy the Ford replacement as it is calibrated for your specific use. Don't save a few bucks buying an off brand from a store. Get the stocker one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts