Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our fill ups from May 26th to June 30th we filled up at Murphys and noticed our gas mileage dropping from 29 MPG down to 21 (wasn't a sudden jump, slowly went down over time)

On July 8th I filled our car up at Valero and shortly after that I replaced the air filter.

Tonight we filled up the car at Valero again and when I entered in our gas and mileage info at www.gasprices.com the mileage was 23.43 MPG. Which is an improvement of 2 MPG from filling up at Murphys and with the old air filter.

Maybe as we keep filling up at Valero the gas mileage will go up again? Or maybe it will stick at 23? Only time will tell.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
You should be better than that . I get 28 MPG and my wife gets 32 in our ztw wagon

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It started out about 28 MPG and I started tracking it and that was when it started going down. We were also only filling up at Murphys (Wal-Mart gas station) These last 2 times we filled up at Valero (used to be Diamond Shamrock) and the MPG has started to come back up based on what the website said from this last fillup.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
The Wal-Mart gas is garbage...I always used to get a CEL on my '93 Ranger when I'd fill up at Murphy's. Stick with a major-brand gas station and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
280 Posts
it has to do alot with the way u drive also cuz if u drive harder it will make a huge dif. i drive my car hard and i fillled up and drove it real easy till the next fill up and it made a dif of about 6 or 7 mpg.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
rickster123 said:
it has to do alot with the way u drive also cuz if u drive harder it will make a huge dif. i drive my car hard and i fillled up and drove it real easy till the next fill up and it made a dif of about 6 or 7 mpg.
I did the same thing but it only changed by 2-3 mpg. I didn't drive hard then easy though. I drove normal, then I drove grandma.

2-3 mpg wasn't worth it, I had people on my a$$ the entire time [:)]

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
BornAgainFordOwner said:
Remember that gas containing 10% ethanol will get lower mileage than 100% gasoline will get.
this is something everyone needs to consider when checking their milage.
10 percent ethanol will lower your milage, but it shouldnt be drastic.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the mileage had gone up once we switched to Valero but it went back down again to 21 MPG.

I was thinking of trying a fuel additive next. Like a fuel injector cleaner.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
hey, i get 20mpg or less all year round, no matter how i drive. I dont know whats wrong with my car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have yet to get 30 mpg, usually 25-26.

For what it's worth:
Run nothing but Chevron for years now. Couple years ago I took my '99 Taurus Duratec in for a fuel injector cleaning and the Ford serviceman asked what gas I use. Told him I run nothing but Chevron and he told me to save money on the FI cleaning, running Chevron gas would keep them clean.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was getting around 25 - 30 in the city driving normally. Just got an intake put on and wanted to test the mileage so I drove more responsibly. Turned out to be about 42 mpg mosty city driving

although when not driving this responsibly my mileage dives to around 20 - 25 now... ugh

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well our car was getting about 29MPG and then it started going downhill and hasn't gone back up to normal since we got it repaired.

We just got the oil filter and the oil changed on it. I bought some fuel injector cleaner that goes in the gas tank and hubby will put it in once he fills the car up again.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I still get 26mpg anytime, highway, in town, driving hard, driving easy... ok well I really don't know about driving easy... don't think I ever have for longer than it takes for the cop to go away.

·
SONIC ZX3
2,253 Posts
I was getting 20 to 22 mpg before my cai. Now Im getting 24 to 26 mpg. Thanks steeda!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts