Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Had an 01 focus se model with a 2.0 dohc zetec and a 5 speed. The car consitently got 30mpg commuting to work and had enough power to get around no problem. Well I got tired of shifting gears in traffic and ran across a guy selling a 02 focus zx4 with 2.0 dohc zetec and a automatic trans. My gas mileage is now consistently 25mpg and I find my self getting "ran over" or "pushed around" in traffic because the car is sluggish. Does this seem right or is there something wrong with my 02? I knew the gas mileage would drop but I didnt think 5mpg.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
MTX verses ATX used to have a respectable MPG difference. Not so much anymore on new cars.

I guess a 2002 Focus would have some difference, but 5 MPG is pretty darn large. Not a fair comparison, this is not MTX verses ATX, this is two unique cars, each with its' own set of wear on everything.

The ATX car likely has more than just an MPG bug. So many factors, it is hard to ID what it might be. Might be the same or better if you do lots of tune-up type of things. Can not be sure without tweaking a few things in search of better MPG and better performance.

If me; I would replace air filter, spark plugs, trans fluid. Tires? Tire pressure....? Without any real problems, after that, I would just keep feeding the car gas and oil, oh well, shrug.

For better performance, try driving it with OD off. Mine likes this. But I do not do it above 60 - 65 mph.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MTX verses ATX used to have a respectable MPG difference. Not so much anymore on new cars.

I guess a 2002 Focus would have some difference, but 5 MPG is pretty darn large. Not a fair comparison, this is not MTX verses ATX, this is two unique cars, each with its' own set of wear on everything.

The ATX car likely has more than just an MPG bug. So many factors, it is hard to ID what it might be. Might be the same or better if you do lots of tune-up type of things. Can not be sure without tweaking a few things in search of better MPG and better performance.

If me; I would replace air filter, spark plugs, trans fluid. Tires? Tire pressure....? Without any real problems, after that, I would just keep feeding the car gas and oil, oh well, shrug.

For better performance, try driving it with OD off. Mine likes this. But I do not do it above 60 - 65 mph.
Thanks for the info. Yea the 02 auto car has a new filter tires are set to 35psi all the way around. trans fluid looks good (nice and red). Now spark plugs I should check because I have yet to check them. So far I am disappointed with the performance and gas mileage of the auto in comparison to my manual trans

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,207 Posts
Check to see if the brakes are dragging, IDK how bad and sluggish it is, but maybe check for a clogged cat as a last resort.

I'd do a "tune up" with mostly OEM parts, Rock Auto, Tasca, Village has them for reasonable prices. Plugs, wires, upstream o2 (wouldn't bother with the downstream), fuel filter.... Recently I changed over to Airtex PCV valve which has Ford markings on it, and the engine seems to like it better than a cheapo generic.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Check to see if the brakes are dragging, IDK how bad and sluggish it is, but maybe check for a clogged cat as a last resort.

I'd do a "tune up" with mostly OEM parts, Rock Auto, Tasca, Village has them for reasonable prices. Plugs, wires, upstream o2 (wouldn't bother with the downstream), fuel filter.... Recently I changed over to Airtex PCV valve which has Ford markings on it, and the engine seems to like it better than a cheapo generic.
This^^^^^^^^^^

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
30 is quite good for the driving described, you had a sweet running car in good condition.

25 is more typical for the described use, and an automatic will feel gutless to an extent compared to the manual.

I'd bet on your pushing the Auto a bit harder to make up for the reduced feeling of power, as well as the possibilities others listed already.

Less shifting effort in traffic, but that's where it looses the most in efficiency.

(Don't know the mileage/condition of either beyond the MPG figures mentioned, Auto could be generally more worn.)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Between my parents and myself we have an 00 zetec wagon and 02 zetec sedan.

00 is fed, 02 is CA emissions; both with ATX

The 02 is 26ish, the 00 is 28ish under with similar driving.

I think the 02 is tuned more for emissions than mileage................

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Between my parents and myself we have an 00 zetec wagon and 02 zetec sedan.

00 is fed, 02 is CA emissions; both with ATX

The 02 is 26ish, the 00 is 28ish under with similar driving.

I think the 02 is tuned more for emissions than mileage................
That can be fixed^^^^^ on the '02,,,,,

·
Registered
11 Posts
No fixing required for 02. Mine easily gets 35 between fill-ups (up to 40+ in good weather). MT of course.
The only reason new AT seem better than MT is because manufacturers design MTs to be inferior - worse final/overdrive ratio, limited 6 speed availability etc. Only to push the more expensive option to buy/maintain. And lets don't forget about reliability and drivability.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just remembered something. The previous owner told me and my dad that he sprayed the MAF with brake cleaner (big no no). So my dad and I are going to check the condition of the MAF with the scan tool today. Im thinking the MAF is off/damaged. I will keep you guys posted on our findings.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Unlikely to be an MPG issue.

If it was 'off', the adjustments from O2 readings would compensate as they normally do.

If it wasn't working, it could have an effect from the car running on backup non-adjusting specs., but you'd get a CEL for that condition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts