Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on an 8hour road trip a couple weeks ago. Use a can of seafoam in my tank and noticed that my fuel mileage dropped like a rock. Where I was regularly able to get 36-38 mpg, I am now struggling to get 29mpg. Any ideas on why it dropped this much and how to fix it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Went on an 8hour road trip a couple weeks ago. Use a can of seafoam in my tank and noticed that my fuel mileage dropped like a rock. Where I was regularly able to get 36-38 mpg, I am now struggling to get 29mpg. Any ideas on why it dropped this much and how to fix it?
Change your fuel filter, it's probably clogged from the stuff it loosened in the gas tank. that's where i would start.

·
FOCUS REVOLUTION
2,872 Posts
Also if you got that mpg on the same tank as the seafoam tank you will get let mpg on the tank that has the additive
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also if you got that mpg on the same tank as the seafoam tank you will get let mpg on the tank that has the additive
Posted via FF Mobile
I expected that tank to suck, my issue is I'm on my 4th or 5th tank already and my mpg still blows :/

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Would definitely change the fuel filter, even if thats not the issue is still going to eventually need done and only about $10 and 30-45 min (depending on how good you are with the clips lol)

·
Registered
666 Posts
oh man .. that sounds like a major issue. If I was you, I would leave the car parked in a river and go out and get a toyota prius. [8D]

Fuel filter is clogged. Get the motorcraft replacement part and not some cheap fram stuff.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh man .. that sounds like a major issue. If I was you, I would leave the car parked in a river and go out and get a toyota prius. [8D]

Fuel filter is clogged. Get the motorcraft replacement part and not some cheap fram stuff.
Hahaha. No thank you to the prius idea. Gas mileage is nice (main reason I bought the car, Nevermind that I won't drive anything but ford), but performance is better. I'm fine with crappy gas mileage when I'm on a spirited drive, but when I'm driving normally I want to have efficiency. Seems like it has creeped back up to where it is supposed to be, but will definitely change the fuel filter at the next oil change.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Seafoam is doodoo. It is a harsh petroleum based cleaner that does nothing. Read on the can it says good for everything.... How in the world can it be good for everything?

Reactions: MustangCRZY302

·
Registered
93 Posts
Seafoam is doodoo. It is a harsh petroleum based cleaner that does nothing. Read on the can it says good for everything.... How in the world can it be good for everything?
I've mentioned this before and got flamed for it... The logic behind Seafoam seems so sound to everybody...everybody but me!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've mentioned this before and got flamed for it... The logic behind Seafoam seems so sound to everybody...everybody but me!
unlike most people ive seen tests on it from a lab and most of the stuff like that has the genetic makeup of brake cleaner half the time.... its sad that they could sell something like that.

·
Registered
666 Posts
sea-foam is used to get rid of carbon buildup... I would never use it in my oil due to it's nature to deteriorate oils seals, but cleaning the intake and fuel lines with it is a pretty good idea.

If you do a chemical analysis you will find it exactly the same as brake cleaner BUT the bonds or amount of atoms in the molecule may be different. For example, formaldehyde, acetic acid and glucose have the same empirical formula, CH2O.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts