Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow focus owners. You will think this is a lie, but its true. I have a 2002 ZX3 manual five speed. I changed over to all Amzoil, both in the crankcase and gear box. Went with Bosch Platinum + four spark plugs and wires. Getting 34mpg city, and 40mpg highway. Runs like a dream. I use mid-grade gas and Amsoil gas treatment. This is not a plug for the product...just know that it works. Can anyone beat that mileage????.....JOHN

·
Registered
875 Posts
What kind of driving style do you have? Does the motor not see over 3 grand in your daily commute? We'd need that information to truly see the gains. Impressive numbers on paper, though.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
all depends on the driver. surprised you have good luck with those bosch plugs. everyone else that has tried them says they sucked really bad. they're just too hot for our cars

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a full exhaust from header back and an intake..... the best i ever got was right around 45-46 miles to the gallon on the highway. I was pleasesntly surprised!

·
Registered
604 Posts
sirwaxalot said:
Hello fellow focus owners. You will think this is a lie, but its true. I have a 2002 ZX3 manual five speed. I changed over to all Amzoil, both in the crankcase and gear box. Went with Bosch Platinum + four spark plugs and wires. Getting 34mpg city, and 40mpg highway. Runs like a dream. I use mid-grade gas and Amsoil gas treatment. This is not a plug for the product...just know that it works. Can anyone beat that mileage????.....JOHN
I've heard if you dump the Amsoil and run Royal Purple you can another 5mpg - 45mpg (highway) ! If you add the right air filter you get a total 22% increase - to 49mpg in your car !!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thats sounds great, I get 33 MPG freeway doing 80MPH+. I'll look into that to get better gas mileage. I'm in San Diego county, Gas price avg: $2.15+/-[8]

·
Registered
56 Posts
PLRX787 said:
Thats sounds great, I get 33 MPG freeway doing 80MPH+. I'll look into that to get better gas mileage. I'm in San Diego county, Gas price avg: $2.15+/-[8]
the reason there was a national speed limit at 55 "back in the day" is because the function of gas mileage related to speed is not linear, rather almost parabolic in nature. A study showed that 55mph was the vertex or optimum speed for the highest gas mileage. The 55mph speed limit was set to help conserve fuel when there was the "oil crisis"

if you are traveling 80mph+, you are actually getting less miles per gallon than if you were traveling closer to 55-60mph

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Well as of a few months ago I started driving 70 miles a day so I've went from all city to all highway. I've went from 270 out of a tank to 370. I've always ran Amsoil 5w-20 xl-7500 and mys mods are listed below. I cruise control at 70 the whole time on the highway no more no less. This stops me from getting tickets and gives me the 370 miles which gives me only 28mpg. These people who say they are getting 45 to 50mpg out of there foci means they are getting 600 to 650 miles out of a tank of gas. I would have to see it to believe it. It is not possible to get much over 400 miles out of a tank of gas in the foci. O and jlukes i've been in plenty of 65mph zones I believe 65 is the national limit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: Re: gas milage

Kalos said:
I've heard if you dump the Amsoil and run Royal Purple you can another 5mpg - 45mpg (highway) ! If you add the right air filter you get a total 22% increase - to 49mpg in your car !!
quit thread crapping[xx(]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Solaris said:
Well as of a few months ago I started driving 70 miles a day so I've went from all city to all highway. I've went from 270 out of a tank to 370. I've always ran Amsoil 5w-20 xl-7500 and mys mods are listed below. I cruise control at 70 the whole time on the highway no more no less. This stops me from getting tickets and gives me the 370 miles which gives me only 28mpg. These people who say they are getting 45 to 50mpg out of there foci means they are getting 600 to 650 miles out of a tank of gas. I would have to see it to believe it. It is not possible to get much over 400 miles out of a tank of gas in the foci. O and jlukes i've been in plenty of 65mph zones I believe 65 is the national limit.
back in the early 80's when there was an oil crisis, the national speed limit was set to 55mph. It was repealed 14 years later.

Here is an article and a graph about optimum speed referring to gas mileage.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Solaris said:
I believe 65 is the national limit.
You need to come up to Montana then.[;)]
It's 75mph legal limit here, with a $5 "excess gas usage/pollution" fee up to 85mph.
However, if you get pulled over for doing 86mph, don't expect to get off as easy.[:(]

BTW, best mileage I've gotten is 35.5mpg.
That was driving through Teton and Yellowstone Nat Parks....about 45-65mph average.
Normal highway at 80-85 is 31.5-33mpg.

·
Registered
56 Posts
WD40 said:
You need to come up to Montana then.[;)]
It's 75mph legal limit here, with a $5 "excess gas usage/pollution" fee up to 85mph.
However, if you get pulled over for doing 86mph, don't expect to get off as easy.[:(]

BTW, best mileage I've gotten is 35.5mpg.
That was driving through Teton and Yellowstone Nat Parks....about 45-65mph average.
Normal highway at 80-85 is 31.5-33mpg.
how do they enforce the $5 excess gas usage/pollution fee?

·
Registered
15 Posts
the reason there was a national speed limit at 55 "back in the day" is because the function of gas mileage related to speed is not linear, rather almost parabolic in nature. A study showed that 55mph was the vertex or optimum speed for the highest gas mileage. The 55mph speed limit was set to help conserve fuel when there was the "oil crisis"

I dont know about anyone else but every car I have ever owned from my 03 svt to my 70 Boss 302 gets better gas mileage at 65-70 than 55 mph. The only reason they wanted to drop the speed limits was to try and save lives (so they say) and told us we would get better gas mileage (so they told us). And if states did now want to go along with it, the Gov. would not give them any Fed. funding for hwys. and repairs..

As for the Amziol I personaly have never heard of it, but if it works Rock On.. I have not gotten better than 30 in the svt. Would like the hear more things that could help improve gas milage on my car since I drive allot...

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
If you get pulled over for say, 83mph, you get a verbal "warning" from the officer.
You then hand them $5 for the fine, and be on your way.
For the most part, you won't get pulled over for <85mph, unless you're doing something really stupid.[rolleyes]

·
Registered
569 Posts
WD40 said:
If you get pulled over for say, 83mph, you get a verbal "warning" from the officer.
You then hand them $5 for the fine, and be on your way.
For the most part, you won't get pulled over for <85mph, unless you're doing something really stupid.[rolleyes]
wow, that's cool! never heard of that before. i wish they have something like that in Illinois

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
70stang said:
I dont know about anyone else but every car I have ever owned from my 03 svt to my 70 Boss 302 gets better gas mileage at 65-70 than 55 mph. The only reason they wanted to drop the speed limits was to try and save lives (so they say) and told us we would get better gas mileage (so they told us)...
Nope.

Due to significantly higher aerodynamic drag at 70 mph vs. 55mph, the car uses more fuel. Period. You just can't fight the laws of physics. I don't know why you observe the opposite but I will strongly suggest there's more to your particular story that you haven't mentioned. Like... have you ever really tried to run a couple whole tanks of gas at a self-imposed 55 limit?

In fact the 55mph NMSL (National Maximum Speed Limit) was legislated in order to reduce fuel usage. Safety was a sort of secondary fringe benefit but it was used to help sell the legislation.

·
Registered
56 Posts
soffiler said:
Nope.

Due to significantly higher aerodynamic drag at 70 mph vs. 55mph, the car uses more fuel. Period. You just can't fight the laws of physics. I don't know why you observe the opposite but I will strongly suggest there's more to your particular story that you haven't mentioned. Like... have you ever really tried to run a couple whole tanks of gas at a self-imposed 55 limit?

In fact the 55mph NMSL (National Maximum Speed Limit) was legislated in order to reduce fuel usage. Safety was a sort of secondary fringe benefit but it was used to help sell the legislation.
precisely...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Calculations?

First off, the oil crisis occured in the 1970s (just being snide, but it's true)....and getting 40 mpg to 45 mpg, I call BS--or, much more probable, simply a case of people performing not-too-accurate arithmetic. The best mileage I've ever received happened last year, based on the following formula: miles driven (as seen on the trip odometer) divided by gallons of gas to the .001 pumped into the gas tank, with the gas lever clicking "off" automatically three times (per Ford owners manual). I logged an all-time high of 476.6 miles on one tank of gas, but I think I may have been "off" somehow, because I've never been able to replicate that astounding mileage.

However, I do see in my log book the following:

Drove 459.9 miles; added 12.314 gallons of gas = 37.347 mpg.
Drove 409.8 miles; added 11.683 gallons of gas = 35.076 mpg.
Drove 429.5 miles; added 11.925 gallons of gas = 36.016 mpg.
Drove 455.5 miles; added 13.200 gallons of gas = 34.507 mpg.

Now, that last one was a "guesstimate" of how many gallons I'd put in--I was in a rush, had to use a full-serve aisle in a rain storm, as (drum roll please) my car sputtered to a dead stop and died, run dead dry right there in the aisle of the gas station!

I drive a daily commute of 65 miles each way. Of that, approximately 12 of those miles are in stop-and-go traffic, until I reach the freeway (specifically, I-78 to Route 33 North in the Poconos of Pennsylvania). Then, it's around 12 miles at 65 mph before the rest levels off at an even 60 mph, straight through [there are more speed traps on Route 33 than unexploded lands mines in Cambodia]. In each case, conditions were optimal--not freezing, not burning hot, probably temps around 70 degrees fahrenheit or so.

Maintenence info: Tires (Goodyear Traction T/A V up front: Kumho Ecsta ASX in rear) are bumped up to 37 psi--I run M1 oil with FL-2005 filters--drop in the "between marks" amount of S-2 Redline Injector cleaner with every tank of gas (and sometimes find myself dumping in quite a bit more...)--I clean my MAF, TB, ITG filter and filter tube religiously. Also, I use Autolite Platinum 2 plugs.

All the listed runs where performed with no spare tire/jack or trunk floor piece, and, weirdly, with the AC OFF but my [this is the part I can't quite understand: "butt dyno"????] side windows cracked down a bit, the fan "on", and my moon roof in the "up" position (i.e. cracked up in the back).

***When I open the moon roof, I swear I can actually feel the car kind of "lurch" forward a bit, as if the cabin was pressurized/holding the car back/something, and now it's not. Is this my imagination?

Mod info: FS exhaust--FS Cool-Flo with custom heat shielding around entire filter, MAF tube, and over cam cover, plug wires and intake tube--HRW intake mod (thanks!)--FS UDP--VF Rear Motor Mount--Eibach Anti-roll bars--FS Plug Wires--FS/SCT Chip.

I don't think I'd put in the chip for any but the last run; on the last run it was set to "stock". Well, that's my experience, and I'm a fanatical mileage/gas/octane logger who even uses the same, exact pump at the same, exact gas station each time for comparisons sake (in this case, pump #6 at the Turkey Hill Minit Mart in Coopersburg, PA on route 309...), and I can't see getting anything close to "500 MILES ON A TANK OF GAS OR MORE YADDA YADDA YADDA BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!"

Cheers, and happy new year

·
Registered
164 Posts
Which states enforces that "$5 excess fuel"? I'll tell you, is not california but, Arnold should sign a new law, I think is awsome!!![thumb]

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^No idea who else does^^^
It was kind of a "perk" for when they abolished the "reasonable and prudent" speed limit in 1999.
Which meant, you could go as fast as you wanted, as long as you were in control, and not endangering others.
Frankly, most people still moved along at a comfortable 80-85 without incident.
There was the occasional crotch rocket, or Mustang GT that would go flyin' by at 120+,
but they were few, and far between.

However, attorneys got involved, and that was the end of that.[?|]
Some out of Stater got pulled over and cited.
He got a good lawyer, and the State couldn't prove what was reasonable and prudent.
Now, the maximum posted limit is 75.[:(]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts