Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought this European diesel Focus a few months ago that had a number of minor issues. One of them is that the gas gauge reads only three quarters of a tank. It will go to empty when I use the car but when I fill it, 3/4s.

I have replaced the intank fuel pump, pulled the cover off the cluster and moved the gauge around to make sure it's not stuck, cleaned a couple grounds under the hood, all to no avial.

Any ideas? (I am not too bothered by it but my wife is so I don't hear the end of it).

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Did you reset the needle on a full tank with the car running or at least the ignition on ? That would be the best way. Just pull it off gently and set it where you want.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
does it go down below E? Needle mightve slipped for whatever reason.

Wheres the fuel level sending unit on these cars?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've not let it get down below E? Can you pull the guage off? If I do that will it screw up the true reading of the tank?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I've not let it get down below E? Can you pull the guage off? If I do that will it screw up the true reading of the tank?
Sounds like the true reading of the tank is ALREADY screwed up. Otherwise it would read full when you fill it. Have you paid attention to how many gallons it takes to fill it when you hit the pumps? Since you haven't let it drop below "E" you might not know it the needle is going to continue running, but you would know that if you are filling an empty 12 gallon tank with 8 gallons of desiel that something is amiss.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, how much should it take to fill?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
If the problem was there since you purchased the car, then you have no baseline to start with. I still say reset the needle and then see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts