Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Ford Focus ZX5 with a 2.3 L engine. It has more than 180,000 miles on it. I have kept it well maintained. My problem is about a year ago I noticed that everytime I fill it up with gas and lock the fuel nozzle, it kicks out fuel nozzle as if it is already filled up. So I have to hold and press (not lock it) the fuel nozzle unitil I am done with my gas fill up. It seems the fuel nozzle does not seal properly with the neck of the gas tank. This happens in any gas station that I go to. My first four years with the car, I did not have this problem. Any suggestions, advice, etc.

Please help!!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Sounds like your vent tube may be clogged. The vent tube allows air to be pushed out of the tank when gasoline is going in. If it gets clogged, the air has to go out through the fill tube. It makes the gas "burp" and makes the nozzle think that the tank is full.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Your theory sounds logical. Will try to fix it using your theory. Again, many thanks Michael.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It's actually a common problem on my wife's car: 2005 Escape. The fix, according to what I've read, is to roll a small ball bearing through the vent tube (after it's detached from the tank).

·
Registered
310 Posts
It's actually a common problem on my wife's car: 2005 Escape. The fix, according to what I've read, is to roll a small ball bearing through the vent tube (after it's detached from the tank).
or compressed air

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hmmm maybe disconect the vent tube up top and blow compressed air through it....Not sure what this will do to the tank though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts