Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the site, but have been browsing it for a long time now. anyway,I did some work on my car 1st time in 95,000 miles. I recently replaced my PCV valve, Spark plugs, and fuel filter, all on seperate occasions.
After I replaced the Fuel filter I was getting a gas/ exhaust smell coming in through the vents whenever I would stop the car at a light and take off. I checked for leaks by the fuel filter, nothing wrong. If you have the hood open, you can smell it. It seems like it is coming from near the spark plugs, specifically one spark plug area has more of a smell. I just don't understand why this would happen after replacing the fuel filter. I'm worried that when I stalled the engine to relieve the fuel pressure I might have caused damage while it bucked. I never had any problems with the car besides the EGR valve which was replaced back in January. Any ideas what might be causing this?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
When it happened to mine it was the "charcoal canister" on the passenger side firewall according to the dealer. However it didn't fully go away until I replaced my plug which were well worn and probably causing a misfire. Any engine codes?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I unscrewed my oil cap today and noticed a smell of gasoline. Not overwhelming but there is definitly gas in it. I looked at my fuel injectors, they see ok. I did notice that the smell of gas is strongest when I first start my car. Is it possible that when I changed my fuel filter it is causing too much gas to flow. After all I did not change it for 95,000 miles. All this started happening right after I changed it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Did you install the PCV valve correctly? If not, or if it is malfunctioning, it would not properly vent the crankcase causing the buildup of unburnt hydrocarbons. This could be the smell.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The PCV valve seems to be okay. I had the PCV valve replaced 2 weeks before the fuel filter. The smell started once I drove the car after replacing the filter

·
Registered
185 Posts
Kind of a stumper. Unless improving the fuel flow suddenly made an existing problem come to life. I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Your fuel filter was probably pretty clogged and the ECU sensed it. In its short and long term fuel trim strategies it probably stored info to make the car run richer because of it. It wasn't running rich before the fuel filter change because it was clogged but now since it flows so well, the computer hasn't adjusted to it and it is keeping the elevated levels of fuel up. Reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so. The car will run a bit weird afterwards for around 10 minutes because it is relearning its strategies. This will reset it and make it realize it doesn't have to use so much fuel.

I am confused though how the smell of gas and exhaust seem to be one with this problem though. You say the smell is promonent right over one of the spark plugs right? Well since you have an SPI the plugs are on the side of the motor instead of the top right above the exhaust manifold. Have you removed the shield and checked for leaks? If you find a leak you might need a new manifold gasket which is easy enough to replace.

I would check out/do both these two things.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: I brought my car to a shop today for someone to look at. Really reliable guy, so I know he will not screw me over. Just waiting on a call to let me know what is going on. He is making it his priority to get this car done ASAP. Thats what I love about independant shops.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Last time I had a gas smell coming through my A/C vents was when my fuel line came off the filter while driving, boy was that fun!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I picked up my car yesterday from the shop. I walked 8 miles in the pouring rain to get it. Now my feet hurt real bad. anyway, he told me that the problem was the vacuum hose on the underside of the EGR valve, it had come loose. 60 bucks, not too bad. However, I still have a faint smell coming from the engine area, not nearly as bad. I don't know if it is maybe just a residual smell that will go away or not. I'll drive it for a couple days and see what happens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was still getting a gas smell from near the spark plugs. I decided to check the plugs to make sure they were firing properly or had a gas smell. while Doing this, I came across a spark plug that needed absolutely no force to unscrew, so it was a little loose. fixed that and everything seems to be pretty good right now. When I first started the car after tightening it I got a smell, but it went away after a couple seconds. Hopefully this will fix my problems. I'll be checking my car again when I get out of work to see if I get the smell when I power up.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yeah I'm not surprised, like I said they changed some other stuff, but I had to change plugs to get the smell gone

·
Registered
185 Posts
Whoah, loose plugs are not a good thing! Better double check the rest if you haven't already. Be sure not to overtighten.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I pulled out each one to check. There was only one that was loose. I made sure that when I put them back in I didn't over tighten them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
petrol smell in my car

i have a focus, 1998 model and wen im going along i very often smell petrol, its been like that for a while and i notice it alot more wen i go flat out .... but the engine dont smell of anything :S does any 1 have any idea's ?

also have a leak in both front footwells have replaced windscreen cowl's both and sealed round pollen filter , and its not the windscreen or door seals.. that didnt work , any idea's would b great

1 - 19 of 19 Posts