Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
This is my first post and I just got my Focus 5 door hatch 2.0 Duratec HE last month. I just want to ask info from experts like you guys regarding my car. I observed the following:
- During cold startup, engine RMP is higher 1kplus then i smell gasoline in exhaust. Is this normal? Gas/air seems rich during startup?
I travel to work few kilometers only. If the fuel consumption is higher during startups, anything I can do about it? Thanks guys and more power!
Alvin

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Kamusta Po?!

At least I think that means "Hey how are ya?" in Tagalog. It's been a while since I was tutored [hihi]

Fuel consumption is going to be horrible on you until the rings in the motor seat completely. I didn't notice good fuel economy until 10k miles. Yes, the motor will run at a higher RPM during start up, and the mixture will be rich. This hasn't changed much since carburetors when the choke restricted the air to richen the mixture. The computer runs a pre-set amount of fuel to the engine, and the oxygen sensors are not operating during start up.

Please use the correct weighted oil as recommended by Ford. A Ford mechanic on here mentioned that some of the newer motors were coming in destroyed as a result of running thicker oil. This has to do with the tight clearances Ford is now building their motors with- which is a good thing because the motors will last longer. I prefer a thicker oil in my vehicles to promote better ring seal, but I've had to re-think things.

I have a few tricks that might help you get better fuel economy, but I'm afraid that the best you'll get in town is around 26 mpg. Of course, a lot of this depends on the quality of fuel there. If you have a choice between fuels, try every fuel station close to home and determine which one gives you the best mpg. I've noticed 3 mpg differences between fuel stations here, and it has more to do with the quality of the tanks in the ground than the refinement of the fuel.

More power to ya!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[:D] Yes you're right!

Hmm 26 mpg seems good already! Yes I'll try the different gas stations here. Just curious, what does the ground tank do with fuel economy? moisture?

If you have some other tricks, kindly send [:D]. I'm glad there is a huge forum for Focus hehehe. Seems like Focus is really popular in other country. Here, Honda Civics dominates the streets but I'm a Focus guy!

Salamat Po! (Thank You!)

·
Registered
325 Posts
I average 28-30mpg in my 05 2.0 and better, be real easy on the gas. ie drive like a grandma. sloooow at least on starts and try to pace lights. the more you brake and accelerate hard the worse

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hi Alvin!

Tell us a about the specifications of the motor in your Focus. Or is it the same as here in the USA?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm. I don't know if it is the same or not. I have a Duratec HE 2.0 DOHC. Others say it is a Euro version. The motor has an electronic throttle and individual coils on top of spark plug (no high tension wires). It has plastic intake manifold and cam cover. I'll check the manual and let you know if I found some other info. [:)]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is the one in the news. European Focus 143 bhp, 16 valve DOHC, aluminum engine block[thumb]

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Sorry Alvin, we have no idea about Euro Foci there. You can check to see what country your Focus was made in by looking at the VIN number on either the sticker on the door or the VIN plate visible where the windshield meets the body at the bottom on the driver's side. The first number on the left denotes the country of origin. US=1, Canada=2, Mexico/Brazil=3, Japan=J, Germany=G, and I'm assuming Spain=S. I think left hand drive Foci's in Europe are made in Germany. Right hand drive cars are made in Spain. I think the Phils use left hand drive cars.

Basically any mods you make to the vehicle will increase the fuel economy. Be careful which cold air intake (CAI) you choose, and choose one that locates the filter inside the fenderwell where it won't be splashed by water. Water being sucked up into the motor will destroy the motor. There are also short ram intakes (SRI) but these suffer reduced performance because of sucking in hot air from under the hood. The "heat soak" effect is more noticable in hot climates.

I think the best thing to do would be enjoy the car without modding it for a while. Eventually the rings will set properly and you should notice an increase in fuel economy.

Yes the difference between fuel tanks would be from ground water leaking into the tanks. In the US, gas stations are required to have these tanks inspected and replaced when necessary- every 5 years or so if my memory is correct.

·
Registered
379 Posts
whynotthinkwhynot said:
Sorry Alvin, we have no idea about Euro Foci there. You can check to see what country your Focus was made in by looking at the VIN number on either the sticker on the door or the VIN plate visible where the windshield meets the body at the bottom on the driver's side. The first number on the left denotes the country of origin. US=1, Canada=2, Mexico/Brazil=3, Japan=J, Germany=G, and I'm assuming Spain=S. I think left hand drive Foci's in Europe are made in Germany. Right hand drive cars are made in Spain. I think the Phils use left hand drive cars.

Basically any mods you make to the vehicle will increase the fuel economy. Be careful which cold air intake (CAI) you choose, and choose one that locates the filter inside the fenderwell where it won't be splashed by water. Water being sucked up into the motor will destroy the motor. There are also short ram intakes (SRI) but these suffer reduced performance because of sucking in hot air from under the hood. The "heat soak" effect is more noticable in hot climates.

I think the best thing to do would be enjoy the car without modding it for a while. Eventually the rings will set properly and you should notice an increase in fuel economy.

Yes the difference between fuel tanks would be from ground water leaking into the tanks. In the US, gas stations are required to have these tanks inspected and replaced when necessary- every 5 years or so if my memory is correct.
Which of the cai's are located inside the fenderwell?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Marcy, FocusSport, K&N, and I believe AEM also. The Steeda is the only SRI available to my knowledge, and the "Stealth" CAI that I nearly always recommend because of it's low price would not be a great idea for someone in the Phils. I don't know his location, but I figure he's more likely to run into puddles that could hydrolock his engine than we are in most parts of the states. Having the filter end up in the fenderwell would help to prevent some hydrolocking. Really, if hydrolocking is a fear at all, then the very best idea would be to stay with the stock filter arrangement because the snorkel is located near the top of the fenderwell where the A pillar meets the firewall.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'll bet that engine is VERY similar to a regular old mazda mzr 2.0L (esp. with the fly by wire throttle).

Our engine has "dumb" cams and a mechanical throttle. Your head is also the better of two castings (the 2.0L here getting the worse of the two! GRRR)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK guys,
Thanks for the tips. Yes hydrolock is a concern in Manila. I only have more than 2k kms. I guess I'll wait a bit for the piston rings to set in.Right now I'm having 20-25mpg but I have a lot of wasted fuel in warming up due to short trips.

[thumb]

·
Registered
815 Posts
Omg, 26, Im lucky if i make 24 and thats me driving like grandma. But since I think I own a nascar im making about 20-22.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts