Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gas cap light came on a few months ago, I checked the cap and everything was ok but the light was still on. I bought a new gas cap but the problem is still there, could the problem be just a messed up censor? has this happened to anyone?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"could the problem be just a messed up censor?"

Possibly.

But more likely a loose or cracked, leaking hose somewhere in the fuel vapor recovery system.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
When my gascap went to pot, I wound up disconnecting the battery to clear the code. It's supposed to clear itself after the umteenth trip, but I got tired of seeing that light on and took matters into my own hands.

·
Registered
3 Posts
have you had any work done to your engine lately?
i had to put a new alternator in my car and i forgot to put a plug back in and the light went on. check and see if all wires are connected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had anything done to it lately. it had been sitting for a long time while I was deployed. thanks for advice

·
*~*
13,045 Posts
Some say to re-set the battery and then see if it comes back on. Then you have a warranty? Use it and maybe they can fix it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you are still under warranty, I would get it checked out. You could try cleaning the gas cap to see if there is some debris on it preventing a good seal but, if that is not it, get it checked.

The reason I say that is b/c I had the same problem. My light came on but the cap was tight and it stayed on no matter what I did, short of disconnecting the battery. Well about 30 days later, on my way to the airport, the CEL came on as well, my svtf started smoking like you wouldn't believe (white smoke) about 10 miles later. I was thinking head gasket but it turns out there is a tube that runs between the gas tank and the floor of the car that does something with the EVAP system and mine was crushed. I would have to go look at the paperwork from the dealer to tell exactly what it was but I had the car towed and fixed free under warranty.

The tech said he re-routed the tube so it wouldn't happen again. The previous owner must have ran over something pretty big to do that, I am at a loss as to how it happened. The good news is that my gas mileage has gone up dramatically (1.5 times the miles to a half tank). Hopefully yours is something minor though. Good luck!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I believe I did see the fuel pump listed on the OASIS sheet when I bought the car. I hadn't thought about that, good point! At least it is fixed now...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am currently having that problem with my car. If you find an answer than can you tell me. If I come up with something I will notify you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts