Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the gas cap turn on the engine light even though it has a gas cap light? Its been very cold here and the engine light has gone on then days later goes off then a week later back on...Didnt get a code yet. but The cap has been dropped several times in the snow and tapped it against something to get the water out. Days later is when it all started with the light. This is the original cap.. Car runs perfect,no gas mileage change. This is an 04 zx5 2.3l w/143000 on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I've dropped mine in snow and slush puddles and have never had that affect anything. I have the 2.0L Zetec, and when my gas cap vent let go it threw the CEL. If I leave the cap off entirely, it turns on the Gas Cap light.

Either replace the cap (it's under $20) since it's at an age where it's going to go soon anyway if it hasn't already, and hope that does the trick...or get your local parts store to read your CEL code for free. Just make sure they tell you the actual code number, then look up OBD II diagnostic codes online to get the full list of what each code means.

Any time you get a CEL it's always wise to get it checked. Sometimes it's not what you think it is.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
On my '07 I get a cel for a loose gas cap, has happened a couple times. I have not had a gas cap specific light ever come on, just the generic engine light. I have confirmed the code via my odbII scanner as being for gas cap as well. I just tighten the cap, reset the code and it doesnt repeat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts