Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
soo hers the deal, my girlfriends 05 focus st just had its gas cap light come on. now cmon guys i already checked to make sure the cap was tight. lol. But anyway i took the cap off, and realized there isnt a little tab in there. usually when you put the gas nozzle in, it pushes the metal tab open, but there isnt one. my question is did it not have one before or did it fall intothe tank and thats the problem???

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
if i can remember correctly, it doesnt really mean the gas cap is loose or not tightened. when u fill up, do u go a lil bit more so u can get the nearest dollar? it supposdly over time, wears on a gasket or somethin and causes gas fumes to escape. mine came on before and after a few driving cycles, it turned off.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
It could also be a bad cap, allowing fumes to escape. I always put 2 gals more in my tank when filling up, then round to the nearest dollar or $.50. Gas cap light has not come on on mine.

I also know every car is different. Try not to top it off when filling the tank, it should reset after a few times.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
May take a couple of fill ups. Be patient grasshopper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts