Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody happen to see the road test of the fOCUS PZEV in USA Today last week? Friday 9/19. While I don't generally rely on this august publication for my automotive news (hell, I don't rely on them for ANYTHING) there were a few interesting comments in the article that I had not heard yet anywhere else.

- they are freshening up the fOCUS and giving an early-intro next spring as an '05 model. So I guess that means '04 is going to be a short model year.

- when the '05 hits, the 2.3 liter engine is no longer PZEV. They are putting the PZEV emissions hardware on a 2.0 liter (article does not say whether Zetec or SPI). "The 2.3 gets power upgrades and surrenders the expensive hardware needed for PZEV credentials"

So, if that's true (and again I'm not sure I trust USA Today) what becomes of this forum? We're here to talk about our more-powerful 2.3 engines, not the emissions stuff, RIGHT??

The article is available on the web if you're interested. I don't have a link handy but just Google your way over to USA Today then hit Money; link from there to Cars; and finally use their search engine with keyword "PZEV".

·
Registered
476 Posts
If that's true than the name of the forum should just be changed to Duratec. I never planned on keeping my Focus Emissions free anyway. Have you done anything to your car yet ? I noticed you live in CT. I'm trying to get a G2G going, lemme know if you'd be interested.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
There's nice things about not having emissions testing where I live. Probably going to do the header/high flow cat route later on, even if it bumps me to a different autox class.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Disturbed ZX3 said:
If that's true than the name of the forum should just be changed to Duratec. I never planned on keeping my Focus Emissions free anyway. Have you done anything to your car yet ? I noticed you live in CT. I'm trying to get a G2G going, lemme know if you'd be interested.
Hey Disturbed:

No, it's bone-stock. To tell you the truth, I think Ford did a damn fine job and there isn't anything I feel like changing at the moment. Ummmm.... no, wait. I would like it to corner a bit flatter. Some thicker sway bars might be in order, sooner or later.

I should probably mention that I am a mechanical engineer who has spent his whole career in and around the auto industry. I did development of engine controls from the mid-80's to the early 90's; and I jumped from there into the tools & equipment aftermarket around '96. In truth I have seen enough dyno charts in my life (not on the fOCUS, but across a wide range of different cars and motorcycles) that show minor improvements at the top end usually come at the expense of DECREASES in the midrange - which is where the vast majority of us drive, the vast majority of the time. If nothing else this makes me reluctant to toss money at an induction system or exhaust system or a chip or whatever. I don't want to shell out dinero and then be disappointed because I screwed up something that Ford went to great efforts to balance. For me, the PZEV has a great blend of midrange punch, cornering, and fuel economy. Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a freakin' grumpy old man!

The other issue is that I am into about a dozen other things. I don't really have the time to spend puttering around with mod's. It will be lucky if it gets washed!! I am a hardcore moutain biker; I am into BMW motorcycles; woodworking; and restoration of antique farm tractors. On top of that I own two houses, the one in CT where I live, and another in RI which I am renovating from the ground up. Plus I spend over 50 hours a week at work, and I still need to find some time to spend with my wife...

Now, about that G2G...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Disturbed ZX3 said:
I'm going to school to be an engineer also. I gotta head to work though right now so I'll talk to you more about it later.
Any time! Where are you going? I graduated WPI in... (ohmyGod) 1984! So yeah I'm pretty old compared to the fOCUS demographic, but I'm not THE oldest. My boss, 67 yrs old, drove my car and went out and bought himself one the same day. And he's into his cars - his other ride is a Marauder!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Yea, the pzev is a really nice car, considering it's only a few bills more for the upgrade, wish it was available when i got my focus. I would however tune the hell out of it, if i had the money =). my 4 spd auto, when I get on it, wants to stay in 4-6k rpms, of which most of the power is from 3-4500rpm's. I'd rather have all my power up high so when it peaks, i shift out, and go into gear at the beginning of my power curve.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a bunch of friends that go to WPI. I'll be heading up there for the weekend in about two weeks actually. Right now I'm at HCC taking all my useless courses and then I'm heading over to WNEC next semester. Looking forward to it. I get free tuition there cause my stepmom is an accountant for them. I'm also minoring in english because I want to write for Car and Driver or Sport Compact Car or something like that. Most of their people are engineers.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Disturbed ZX3 said:
I have a bunch of friends that go to WPI. I'll be heading up there for the weekend in about two weeks actually. Right now I'm at HCC taking all my useless courses and then I'm heading over to WNEC next semester. Looking forward to it. I get free tuition there cause my stepmom is an accountant for them. I'm also minoring in english because I want to write for Car and Driver or Sport Compact Car or something like that. Most of their people are engineers.
Good luck with school, Disturbed. Can't really argue with free tuition [8D]

Car & Driver is my favorite mag - you're absolutely right, they are mostly a bunch of engineers. Maybe that's why it's my favorite mag...

·
Registered
99 Posts
More private conversations, please. It's like a somewhat interesting soap opera...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts