Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Fusion Purchase...DCT Issues?

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  CunFFS13 
#1 ·
Guys,

Like many of you I own a 2013 Focus with DCT and have been experiencing problems; in my case, severe problems. After 1 year of these ongoing issues, I'm considering replacing the car for a model that doesn't have the DCT. However in reading the specs for the Fusion, I noticed that some of the models refer to a 6 speed transmission with selectable electronic gear shifting either on the gear shifter or with paddle shifters. My question is, is this the same transmission that's in my Focus, or a totally different tranny? At this point, I'm looking for a traditional tranny with a torque converter. I'm over the dual clutch set-up.

#2 ·
Totally different tranny. Fusion's has a TQ.

You know, you could go totally crazy like me and take a chance on another DCT that was built correctly from the factory (instead of multiple dealer "fixes"). Worked out in my case, of course your mileage may vary.

#9 ·
Honda’s “TC-DCT” is the only dual-clutch transmission with torque converter.
Getrag is moving away from the dry dual clutch and all development in dual clutch applications is being spent on wet dual clutch.
Getrag has said they made some adjustments to their dry clutches, for example by offering improved software, new clutch materials, and by using more dual-mass flywheels.

Get the Fusion, the transmission in the Fusion I drove while in Canada worked great.

Ford Europe will be using the same transmission (6F) from the Fusion & Escape, in the 2015 Focus equipped with the 1.5L EcoBoost and 1.0L 125hp EcoBoost engines.

#14 ·
Well, here's an update. The dealer replaced the clutches today and I drove the car home from the dealer. Only time will tell if this fixes the problem for good. If not, then I'll be looking to replace it with another model. The top 2 choices would be either the Fusion or the new Mazda 6.

#16 ·
Reading between the lines it sounds like you just want a bigger car. Otherwise you'd be looking at the Mazda3 and other compacts. I considered a midsizer as well until I realized a Fusion SE will cost roughly $4,500 more than my Focus did similarly equipped. Personally I don't need to pay thousands more for extra space I don't need and less capable handling.

#19 ·
UPDATE: When I went to the dealership to pick up my car after having the clutches replaced, my Service Advisor saw me standing at the cashier counter, so he approached me and he described to me what they found wrong with the car, what parts they replaced and what I should expect going forward, given that I just had new clutches installed. He handed me a piece of paper which describes the DC transmission and what type of sounds, sensations and behaviors I should expect going forward. Basically, it was making the case that I should expect some shuddering, vibration, etc, especially during the break-in period.

Well, there's about 100 miles on the new clutches so far and I'm very pleased to say that I haven't experienced any of those issues....YET. I'm hopeful that this has solved the problem, but I'm cautiously optimistic. As I said before, only time will tell. Given the fact that the clutches are so new and haven't been broken in, I'm completely surprised that I haven't experienced any of the shuddering, jerking, etc, such as I did when the car was brand new. I remember the first 1,500 miles or so the car behaved differently until it went past the break in period. As time went on, my MPG also improved. So at this stage, if the car was going to behave badly, I would expect this would be that time for it to shudder and vibrate me out of my seat. Again.....so far, knock on wood, it's actually driving like an automatic transmission.

One other thing...the Regional Customer Rep I've been dealing with is named, Melissa and she has been very helpful to me. She handles the dealerships in my area. For all the negative things that has been said about Ford and their people on this forum, I'd like to point out that there are people who work for the company who are caring, compassionate and driven to provide answers and solutions to their customers. In this case, that was Melissa. She listened in detail to what I described as the problem, she called the dealership to make schedule a service appointment and made arrangements for their transmission expert to take care of my car. She also authorized the cost of a loaner car. On top of that, she told me that she would be sending out a "customer sat" check to me as a gesture of goodwill and to make up for the inconvenience of the ongoing issues I've had with my car. Now THAT is SERVICE! I only wish I could have dealt with Melissa from the very beginning, because it would have saved me a year of aggravation.

So that's where things stand as of now. Again...hopefully this clutch job will permanently solve the problem I was experiencing. As for switching to a Fusion or something comparable, I will hold off on those plans until I can determine whether or not my Focus problem has truly been solved. If so, then the Focus stays, if not, then I'll be looking at replacing it with a Fusion. One other possibility might be going with a Focus ST.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.