Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know there has been some talk about wether a Fusion Key/Fob combo will work with our cars. I may be able to shed some light on this.

Today a Fusion was towed in to our dealership today(rental). The renter lost the key and needed to get a new one. We had none in stock so we cut a regular PATS key that was the same style used in a Taurus and programmed it and low and behold it worked. Also we were able to program a seperate 4 button remote.

I see no reason why going the other direction wouldn't work. I know when we get our shipment of Fusion keys in I will be 1st in line to get one done.[woot]

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I have done this already. The remote will work no problem. The key itself wont program because its considered a "gem" key instead of a chip key like our Focus keys. You could still use one if you want by doing it like you would a remote starter. Zip tie an old pats key under the column at the transciever. Then you dont have to program the Fusion key, just the remote part. I did this as soon as we got those key blanks in.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
From what they're saying, I gather that the key also has the keyless entry remote built into it.

I wonder; is there any spot on the key where you could drill a hole wide enough to insert the PATS chip and then glue it in? A friend of mine was able to pull the PATS chip out of one of his ZX3s keys and then put it into one of those clear-fob ebay keys, so if there's enough plastic on the fob why not just insert the PATS chip?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Yeah, exactly, it is a key with the remote built into it. Not a bad looking key either; ill try and post a pic tomorrow at work.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
^^there you go^^ thanks man.

·
Registered
453 Posts
yea i got one of those keys at a junkyard. its most likely impossible to get a new blade put on it as well as the right chip in it. maybe a lock smith or one of those special key places can?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Ok, you guys ready for this..........my employee cost on one, yes one of these keys is $80.20

·
Registered
618 Posts
So, you can program the buttons to work with no problem. BUT, if you put the key in the ingnition, it will not start. Is that correct? Unless, you have the chip or the regular focus key next to the transciever? Correct, or am I missing something?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Yes, thats correct. When you put a remote start on your car, you have to place a spare pats key at the transceiver, basically, same thing, because you cant program this key to a Focus.

·
Registered
453 Posts
you are correct. but leaving a focus key by the transciever is not a good idea. it makes it easier to steal the car. the best way would be to take out the fusion chip thing and put a focus chip in the fusion key, if its possible. i have the same key i found in a junk yard, does anyone know if you can take out the actually key and chip????

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I'm still curious though...if you could extract the PATS chip out of one of your existing keys and somehow get it inside the fob for the Fusion key, it should still work. I'd think that somewhere inside the fob there should be enough open space that you could wedge the PATS chip from your Focus key in.

·
Registered
453 Posts
the opposite side the buttons is where the battery goes, there isnt any room. you would have to pry both sides off and take the actual chip out, but i dont know if you can take the blade out.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts