Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at fuses at Wal-Mart and not really sure which ones I need. I know the ones I need say 10 on them. Need the ones for the high beams, only have one and the high beams don't work. :(

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is there like any difference between motorcycle and car ones? Or can I just grab a pack that has the 10 ones in them and I'll be good?

·
What bump stop?
1,947 Posts
there may be a difference, depending on which size fuse. By size I mean there are tiny mini fuses that are smaller than the 10 amp fuse you would be looking for. Do you have an auto zone or an advanced auto near you? you don't want the mini fuses. I wish I had a pic of the mini ones , but I don't. You can tell though, they are really small.

The fuses you want to get are about 3/4" in width across the top where it reads 10

·
What bump stop?
1,947 Posts
they're in there pretty tight. If you have a pair of needle nose use them, carefully! ONLY touch the plastic on the fuse and gently wiggle it as you pull up. ry and grab the fuse in the middle, right where it has the number 10. Don't stick the plyers in too far because you run the rick of making contact with the fuse panel itself and shorting out the system. Do this with the keys out of the ignition.

·
Registered
134 Posts
On my 05 both fuse boxes have a little yellow plastic fuse puller.....dont overlook yours if you have one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I tried to stick a new fuse into the box and I don't know if I'm not pushing hard enough or what but the fuse is still loose. Loose enough that I can pull it right back out.

·
What bump stop?
1,947 Posts
after you put the new fuse in does the top sit level with the surrounding fuses? If not it's not in deep enough. If so you "may" have pushed out the connection through the bottom.

·
What bump stop?
1,947 Posts
not so much click, but it should have gone in as tight as it was comming out. Was it hard to push in at first when you went to put the new fuse in? Or was it real easy to put the new one in, with little to no resistance at all?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I'm a bit confused as to what you are doing. On the 2005 model, my manual says there is only one fuse for the high beams. Is your high beam fuse blown and you are trying to replace the high beam fuse? If you have two high beam fuses, is only one of the high beams working (typically if there are two fuses, there is one for each side)?

Are you sure the fuse(s) are bad? Typically you can tell a fuse is blown by looking at it, but earlier you said you couldn't get it out, which implies you have not inspected it.

A few more details as to the actual problem and situation and we might be able to provide better help.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well we took the car in and got it worked on. Before that the high beams worked, after that they didn't.

When you try and click the high beams on the lights go off completely. Neither high beam comes on.

I'm thinking one of the fuses for the high beams is missing and that they won't work without both fuses being in there.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tiresmoker, it was really easy to put in, I could just drop it in the spot. Both hubby and I tried to push it in and after we pushed it in it was easy as heck to pull back out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay I noticed some of the spots have a little silver looking thing. And when I put a fuse into that spot it "stuck" like the other fuses do when I try to pull them out.

I put two new fuses in the high beam spot and the high beams still don't work.

·
What bump stop?
1,947 Posts
were the old fuses you pulled blown? There is a little filiment inside the fuse connecting the spades. When you look through the fuse you will see l~l , for lack of a better drawing. lol the l=the spades that go into the fuse panel, and the ~=the "filiment" that connects them. if the ~ part is broken then you have a bad fuse.

Have you checked the bulbs? They may have burnt out. It's common for a multi filiment bulb to have one go and not the other. Mine are always doing it, especially with the silverstar bulbs

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
What fuse numbers are you replacing? Usually, there is only 1 fuse for high beams.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pretty sure the fuses weren't blown. Because the ones I pulled out still looked like an upside down U.

The ones I put in the wire looks like a Z.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Okay, I just checked, and if you have a PZEV, then 26 and 27 in the battery junction box under the hood are correct. And if it was a intact 'U', then the fuses are fine.

There isn't much that can be wrong. The only other thing could be is the relay.

Battery + --> relay --> fuses --> high beams --> ground.

So, if its not the fuses, check the relay. The only other thing could be are the wires going to the high beams, so its worth inspecting.

Does your high beam light go on and off when you toggle them?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts