Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a power source(hopefully a fuse) that stays on when the car is off. All I can think of right now is the cigarette lighter source but im not sure where its fuse is. Does anyone have a diagram of the interior fuse box?

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
the diagram on the back of the fuse panel should help. manual might have it. i forgot which it specificly is though sorry. if you have a multimeter just clip it to the negative and positive wires on the ciggarette lighter and pull the fuses until you see that it's lost power. why do you need to know?

- Scott

·
Registered
639 Posts
yeah just look at the diagram on the fuse box cover, and find something that would stay on all the time. then take whatever you're trying to hook up, and hook it up to that spot, if it doesnt work, move it to another till you find one that is constant. i use a test light, but do this method if you dont have one

·
Registered
845 Posts
dome light has power all the time...it's the switches in the door and the light itself that turns it off

the radio has power all the time too...like the dome light, it's the power switch that turns if off and the car's computer when you turn the car off (I think remotely and not actually killing the power because it turns on with the car off)

cig lighter...like you mentioned

you could drop a fuse where the power door locks goes if you don't have power locks and use that space in the fuse box for constant power...I think it has power ran from the battery to the fuse box, and for the wiring and actuators from the box to the door locks themselves...that's part of the "power door locks package upgrade"

there are probably a few spaces in the fuse box that have power ran to them and no where to go because you didn't get the option added...dealers are lazy and don't want to do all the wiring, so they cheat a little by pre-wiring to the box

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need the constant power so I can leave my underbody LED neons going when the car is off. I tested about 5 or so fuses and found that they all lost power when the car was off. I didnt see a diagram but was hoping someone knew which ones the radio or dome were on. Im going to go check the manual again.

·
Registered
510 Posts
You should get yourself a tester, so you can see what wires are hot, and at what voltage. Not all the hot wires are 12v.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
then I guess my best bet it to find the cig lighter fuse

·
Registered
639 Posts
wait a minute. this wire you're trying to hook up, is it a power wire for the neons? or is it just a remote turn on wire? if its a power wire, i dont know how much power those take, but i think its kind of a lot. if thats the case, i would highly recommend you run the power wire to the battery, and then to a switch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well since they are LEDs they dont draw power worth crap. I left them on for 4 days straight when I went out of town with a friend to see if I would still have battery when I got back....and my car still started so thats pretty good. They dont draw any power now actually cus they were stolen 2 days ago but....I found out that almost all the circuts in the car have constant power and the switches operate the ground. Therefore most fuses in the car have power constantly, even when the car is off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts