Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I've got an electrical issue that cropped up a week or so ago.
I noticed that my dash lights, and rear running lights had stopped working (turn signals, brake and reverse lights all work fine).
The next morning, I hit the rear defrost button and the dashboard lit up (ditto to the rear running lights). They stay on as long as the defroster does.
Today, I found that fuse #30 was blown. I replaced it and turned the headlights on - all was good. However, when I started the car (with headlights on) fuse #30 blew again. Just to be sure, I hit the rear defrost button and saw that the running lights and dash lights came on.

Has any one seen this type of issue? I've seen a few threads that mention a short where the wiring harness passes from the body into the hatch, but I haven't checked that area yet. Any guidance/info you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That's the prime area to look at for your description, and look at BOTH ends - where it goes into the hatch & where it goes into the body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far I've visually inspected that wire boot and I don't see any cracks or obvious bare areas. Is it possible to pull the boot back and inspect the wires?

Also - on my drive in today, I noticed that my trip odometer is working but the vehicle odometer is stuck at the mileage reading from when I started checking fuses. Is this indicative of another issue or did I screw something up when pulling fuses?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll peel it back and take a look this evening.
If the wires look similar to those pictured (cracked insulation but mostly intact) can I get away with taping them? Or do I need to replace that entire harness?

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
If the wire insulation is just cracked and the wires inside are not broken, then just tape them up.

If wires are broken, then repair is needed. Most just splice in a piece of wire (I strongly suggest soldering the joints and not using crimp connectors) in the bad section(s) and tape everything up (or use heat shrink).

Some have replaced the entire harness back there rather than repair it...either would work.

Repairing the harness is much easier to do if it is removed, but it can be repaired in many cases without doing that. It is a pain though to try doing the repairs through that small opening. If you do make repairs, try to add a little extra length to the wires so that they are not in such a bind there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts