Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fuse 62 (License plate lights) blows instantly. Help? (Still having trouble)

Hi guys,

Lately I've been having a problem getting my license plates bulbs to stay lit. I got pulled over for it earlier this summer (Just got a warning btw), and I put in new bulbs, and a new fuse. They worked perfectly right after I fixed them, but I checked later in the week and they were out. The fuse had blown again.

So for a while now, I've been slowly looking at the wires around that area, and when I find no problems, popping in a new fuse. As soon as I turn the key over and flip on the lights, it blows again.

Any ideas how I can solve this mess?

Thank you!

Oh yeah! My car is a 2002 Focus SVT hatch.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Check the hatch wiring harness where it enters the hatch from the car body, in the hatch sill between the hinges.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
and make sure the lens & bulb holder is popped in right, with the bare bulb connectors there, they can touch the edge of the hole 7 short out easily if they aren't in the right position...

(BC'S answer is the most common issue...)

Luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, did you guys know that you're amazing? [pray]

That was exactly my problem, two wires in the harness were right next to each other and bare, I wrapped them in some electrical tape and everything is fine!

Thank you all so much! [ffrocks]

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Very common problem. The bare wires can effect everything in the rear. It can even effect the cruise control if the brake light wires are bare. Make sure you check them all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I spoke a little too soon. The fuse blew again. :/ Something still isn't right.

I doubled checked the wiring harness, and even cut into the rubber that goes around it to make sure there weren't any more bare wires (Probably wasn't the best idea, but it's done now, I taped it up decently at least.), and taped another wire up that had a little wear and popped in another fuse, which blew right away.

I'm about to go check on the bulb holders, but I just did those earlier this summer after getting pulled over for them being out, so I feel like its something else that's causing this. [scratch]

Edit
: Bulb holders look great. I took the back cover off the hatch, all those wires look great. What else should I check guys?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Fuse 62 (7.5A) powers an orange wire with a black tracer. The right bulb socket receives power from the left bulb socket which receives power directly from that wire via the fusebox. The bulbs are grounded by means of a shared black wire directly onto the deck lid, Your problem must be with that single powered orange/black wire.
Recheck the hatch harness wires looking specifically for that wire colour. You may need to remove the rear hatch inner trim to trace the wire in the deck lid if the hatch-to-car wiring connector still checks out OK.
The hatch-to-car connector "protector" is hard plastic and pops out, btw, once you peel back the black rubber cover. If you didn't pull out the plastic bit, you likely haven't done a thorough enough examination.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At the risk of speaking too soon once again, I think I may have fixed it.

I pulled the wires out further, and I found another one that had a bit of damage. (I think it was white and green) So I taped that one up and haven't had a problem since. The fuse has lasted all day, with me opening and closing that hatch a bunch, so I think I may be in the clear!

Thank you all again for the help! [loveff]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You're welcome...

This site is a GREAT resource, since we see a LOT of issues - find fixes - and remember them for the NEXT time the issue comes up....

Take care!

(cheers)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just found this thread because I was having these same issues. I have a 2.3 duratec (04 year) and could not find this fuse anywhere in the owners manual. Could someone point me to the right direction? Thanks!

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
According to the '04 manual I have - also available online here - fuse 62 for the rear license plate lamps is in the interior fuse box at position 62.
May possibly have changed for the Duratec cars but the reverse side of your fuse panel cover should provide details of what each fuse position does.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks, I finally figured it out. Fuse was blown while I was in the act of replacing the bulbs. So a word of advise to those replacing plate bulbs, turn your light switch off while replacing them so as not to create a short.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts