Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I turn the car on and step on the brake, Fuse #42 blows. This is the one for the Brake Lights.

This has the added complication of preventing me from shifting the car out of park, since, my understanding is it requires that circuit completion to tell it the brake is on.

The fuse blows audibly when I first step on the brake.

It happened a few times in the past, I just changed the fuse, and went on my merry way - but all of a sudden, after only doing it once in the past year, now, every time i start the car and push on the brake the fuse seems to blow.

Any ideas? This is a 2004 ZX3 and it is Fuse #42 (15A)

Thanks

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
You have a hatchback. Where the rear wiring harness enters the hatch at the top of the "door sill" between the hatch and the car, and between the hinges, there is a rubber boot. If you pull that off you will likely find some frayed or chafed wires. The hatch lid going up and down causes stress at that point over time and creates shorts. Re-wrap the wires with some electrical tape. The center rear mounted stop light wiring goes through this junction.

The second possibility is that your center rear mounted brake light housing itself is melted on the inside (because of the heat generated by the number of bulbs mounted so closely together I suppose.) When the plastic sags, it could possibly cause a short or other weirdness. I had to replace mine after 8 years. (The lens cracked on the outside as well after the rear wiper sprayer nozzle took too many hits).

btw, welcome to FF.

Edit: Mother Focus beat me to it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just took some pictures inside the back light, took it off bc/ it was easy to do and see if i noticed anything glaring.

Next stop, I suppose, will be the rubber boot between the car and the hatch. I'm thinking I'll find something there, as before today, I saw this problem a few times, only with the hatch in the up position.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Don't worry buddy, your explanation is very kind. Novfoc as you see it happens a lot, my 3rd brake light, rear wiper and plate lights are not working, probably on yours the exposed wire is touching the inside of the hatch.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Follow the instructions in the link, most of the time is inside the hatch but never hurt to check under the rubber boot before breaking it down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I second thought.

Don't know if I found *the* problem, but a problem none the less! Here is a look at what greeted me behind the rubber boot between the car and the top of the hatch/brake light.

Guess I've got some wire repair to do...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
outside of this one specific area (Right inside the boot) the wiring looks to be fine to be.

I don't have a diagram/cheat sheet to tell me which wire is which but

The black wire (ground?) thick half green/blue wire (?) and green with yellow stripe (Brake light) are all 3 split at the same spot. These are also the wires at the "top" of the bundle

Going down,
The 2x black/orange; white/red; smaller green/blue and white/green wires, all appearing to b the same gauge, have two cracks. The black/red and orange/black wire at the bottom of the stack have just one crack in insulation

·
Registered
93 Posts
ok so this is my list of stuff tht wont work: dash lights, the light on headliner, side markers and upper grill lights will not work with headlight switch on unless i put the turn signals on, brake running light will not work when headlight switch is on. brake lights will work when hitting the pedal. also hatch button only works when i play with it. i will pull the hatch boot off tomorrow to see if thts the problem but i just wanna see if anyone thinks that the answer for sure! thanks

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Taking a look is the best way... I haven't worked on that part of the focus for awhile but if I remember correctly, the interior lights, dome light and side markers have a common fuse.

btw didn't realize it was that bad. That's the first time I've actually seen a picture of that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts