Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rewired my hatch wiring. Went to the parts store for new fuses and got a pack of bulbs too. Threw in new bulbs, they lit up, right until I closed the tailgate and the fuse blew again.

If I unplug the housings and leave them dangling I can slam the tailgate all day without issues. As soon as there's bulbs the fuse will pop within minutes. It popped a 10amp and a 15 amp as soon as they were turned on.

My housings are pretty corroded, and I have a feeling my wiring clips are too. Is it time for new housings and new pigtails for the lights? Is it high resistance or would it be wiring shorting to the body?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
Well, if you are closing the tailgate on all that wire it's a wonder you haven't burned car to the ground yet.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Just rewired my hatch wiring. Went to the parts store for new fuses and got a pack of bulbs too. Threw in new bulbs, they lit up, right until I closed the tailgate and the fuse blew again.

If I unplug the housings and leave them dangling I can slam the tailgate all day without issues. As soon as there's bulbs the fuse will pop within minutes. It popped a 10amp and a 15 amp as soon as they were turned on.

My housings are pretty corroded, and I have a feeling my wiring clips are too. Is it time for new housings and new pigtails for the lights? Is it high resistance or would it be wiring shorting to the body?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using FF Mobile
What year/body, etc. (add to 'what I drive' in the user CP 'edit details' or add to you signature)

On edit: Based on your previous posts I see that you have a 2005 ZXW wagon

Your title says fuse 30 but then you say 10 amp and 15 amp - are there two fuses blowing or did you just up the fuse amperage on that one?
BTW is cannot be 'high resistance' anywhere in the circuit as that would cause low current draw - which is the opposite of what you have.

After giving your situation some thought here is my thinking:
Based on the symptoms as you describe them there cannot be a short at the wire flex point (where you repaired) as this would blow the fuse during flexing (ie tailgate closing) regardless of whether the bulbs were installed or not. The fact that the fuse does not blow with no bulbs installed would lead me to postulate that the problem is in one of your 'new' bulbs and is somehow trigged either by the position of the bulbs/filaments with the tailgate closed or the physical shock to the bulbs as the tailgate slams shut. Alternately, when installed - the licence bulb housing connections could be touching the surrounding metal of the tailgate based again on the physical shock of the tailgate closing. I would experiment with installing one hosuing/bulb at a time to see which one causes the fuse to blow.

Paul

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What year/body, etc.

Your title says fuse 30 but then you say 10 amp and 15 amp - are there two fuses blowing or did you just up the fuse amperage on that one?

Paul
Good point that I forgot the details.

05 zxw wagon.
I only had one spare 10amp and a spare 15 amp and both blew immediately. It's rated for a 10.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have been editing that post - did you read the latest?

Paul
Just saw your ideas.

It's a weird problem and my belief is that it's shorting on the tailgate body based on the fact that the bulb lights just fine when it has yet to be installed in the vehicle, and can even light fine once installed, but seems to blow when I close the hatch as I do normally (a slam instead of a gentle close due to newly installed struts for supporting the tailgate hatch). There doesn't seem to be any insulation between body and the housing so a short could happen when jostled like that. Unfortunately it's a tight space so finding a way to insulate short of spraying in a rubber spray like plastidip will be difficult. I will buy another pack of fuses tonight and see what happens when I wrap the whole light housing and all contacts in electrical tape. Would be a good first step in figuring it out

Edit: I should add that I did all my testing with the drivers side light as my passenger side one was missing till last week

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Just saw your ideas.

It's a weird problem and my belief is that it's shorting on the tailgate body based on the fact that the bulb lights just fine when it has yet to be installed in the vehicle, and can even light fine once installed, but seems to blow when I close the hatch as I do normally (a slam instead of a gentle close due to newly installed struts for supporting the tailgate hatch). There doesn't seem to be any insulation between body and the housing so a short could happen when jostled like that. Unfortunately it's a tight space so finding a way to insulate short of spraying in a rubber spray like plastidip will be difficult. I will buy another pack of fuses tonight and see what happens when I wrap the whole light housing and all contacts in electrical tape. Would be a good first step in figuring it out

Edit: I should add that I did all my testing with the drivers side light as my passenger side one was missing till last week

OK,
Sounds like a plan. Let me know how you make out.

BTW I have not had any shorting issue with the licence lamps on my wagon (2002) but they do tend to corrode up and get dim after a year or so. I remove them and completely disassemble them to clean the corrosion from the contacts and clean the little lenses then reinstall - usually with fresh bulbs and they are nice and bright again.

Paul

·
Registered
273 Posts

I went through, what sound like, the same thing.

here is the thread >>> https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/731369-bump-my-lights-blew-out-my-story.html

I cleaned up all of the tail light component, (it was all mucked up) made sure that there was drainage and, all has been well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts