Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got my new functional ram air hood off ebay today. Just thought I would let every one know how it is.
The fit is pretty good. Its a little tight on one side and i had to remove the plastic stoppers that support the hood in the front. I have heard that most after market hoods dont fit very well so I would rate this as pretty good.
They say that it is 30% lighter than stock. I dont know if that is so. I did not weigh them but there dident seem to be much differance. The hood is very sturdy. I think its made of fiberglass. Not sure if all is but i know some of it is.
Now to the ram air. There are holes in the in the tunnel that the air runs in and a small dam to keep water from getting into your intake. I liked that alot. The openings that go over your intake are not as big as i would like but they do seem to sit right over your intake. I have not tested this yet but plan to. The hood will only work with a short ram. i think the volent would be great with it. I have the K&N and it still seemed to work fine. You can hear the cool air flowing into your intake when your down low in rpm's.
I dont know how much hp I am gaining(sure its not much) but when i stop and shut my car off and touch my hood its still cool, unlike before, it would be burning hot. So it seems to atleast be pumping cool air into the engine bay. I am very happy with this hood. I got it for $280 shipped from canada. Dont think I could have beat the price. Dont know if every one can get this deal but even if you cant they still seem to be going cheap. Also I think it looks great on the car.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Need pics man, I hope they will come out with a ram air for the 05 and up soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will take some pics tomm. of how it is now. That way every one can see what im talking about. Then when i get it painted I will take more!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not really sure who makes it! I think that some one on here said that it might be this company called good hood or some thing. Not really sure though.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Damn.. that looks neat.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
i like it! i think this might be a one of cuz there was a thread about this hood, but it may be a hood company, but still looks good, and extra air for extra HP[thumb]

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like that alot, but can't find it anywhere on the net. I sent the company you bought it from an ebay email, but haven't heard anything back yet.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but it doesn't really look like that would do a whole lot, even with a Volant (or similar) intake. Maybe if the internal opening was one large hole instead of two small slits it could flow air better, but its not really going to ram air into the engine. It'll be beneficial from the standpoint that it'll give another route for air to get to the intake, but I wouldn't expect any earth-shattering gains from it.

Now if you could fabricate a custom intake that draws air from the scoop and the scoop only it would work the way its supposed to, but with that setup its just going to be pushing a little extra air into the engine bay. The hood feeling cool afterwards is because fiberglass doesn't conduct heat as well as metal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
SkaAddict said:
Not to rain on your parade, but it doesn't really look like that would do a whole lot, even with a Volant (or similar) intake. Maybe if the internal opening was one large hole instead of two small slits it could flow air better, but its not really going to ram air into the engine. It'll be beneficial from the standpoint that it'll give another route for air to get to the intake, but I wouldn't expect any earth-shattering gains from it.

Now if you could fabricate a custom intake that draws air from the scoop and the scoop only it would work the way its supposed to, but with that setup its just going to be pushing a little extra air into the engine bay. The hood feeling cool afterwards is because fiberglass doesn't conduct heat as well as metal.
I happen to have the Volant, and ws thinking about making that one bigger opening actually. I'm sure I could fab something up so that its only putting air into the intake and not the engine compartment.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
all i know is that i do feel some differance. NO it doesent actually ram air into the intake. But yes it does let more "COLD" air into the intake. There for as we all know increases more power due to cold air being dencer. also no one said any thing about getting any earth shattering gains from it. i found it to be a good buy and i think that its alot better than buying a hood with a scoop that just sits there and does nothing.
Yes focus addict i thought about the same thing, before i get it painted Im planing on oppening up those vents a little more than what they are. get as much air in there as i can without getting water in!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah it lookes nothing like the good hood. i wish i would have paid more attention to the box so i knew what kind it was for sure.
Sorry that the guy is not awnsering e-mails. I'll try to get a hold of him to.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah it lookes nothing like the good hood. i wish i would have paid more attention to the box so i knew what kind it was for sure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

1 - 20 of 37 Posts