Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like a great idea. Of course those who do not agree will tell you all the reasons why you shouldn't do it.
  • you are lazy
    it takes too long to drain
    they will question your manhood
    the dreaded vandals will learn about it and drain your oil while you are asleep
I say go for it. the first oil change you will be smiling and say money well spent.

older thread from another forum, also an alternative brand is mentioned as well. Lots of happy campers.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=645525

hold on here come the detractors.[nono]

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was all ready to go investigate it and tell you that it's a bunch of black magic that will spring a leak while driving down a dirt road in a snowstorm, but after watching that video and reading the on BITOG, I'm considering getting one (and the clip that keeps the valve locked in place).

Typically, I let it drain for a good hour or so, and if all I had to do was put the hose on into a 5-gal container, that's even better.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I have one on my F150. Sure makes draining much less messier, and I'm superb at making a mess.

After 15 years, doesn't leak one bit.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
These seem to work fine, and if your car has an awkwardly placed drain plug, would be an great solution. But the drain valve on the Focus is dead-easy to access, so I'm not sure it's much of a benefit to us.

Also, if you ever have an oil changes done by a (shudder) third party, be aware they don't always know what to make of a Fumoto valve and have been known to remove it instead of just opening it, resulting in leaks and misdirected drain valves.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I had heard of it before. And it looks like a nice device.

I wind up changing my own oil about once a year.
And how long i keep my cars varies a lot.
4 years, 7 years, 2 years, 13 years, 3 years...
So I can say mayby.. I just am too lazy to buy one and install it. Since it would be installed at an oil change, and would not actually be put to use for a whole year... [dunno] Though if I bought one and had it around.. Yees if it was on the car it would be easier to do the oil change. The current situation with the oil coming out horizontally is a bit messy. though I have changing it down pat now and usally do not spill a drop.

The one place a person should really get this toy is if they do oil analysis. Then it is golden. You can open the spigot and collect a small sample for analysis really easy. Big plus IMO. [like]

And I agree it is for owners who do thier own changes.

Oil change places are likely to mess it up. And would YOU trust them? They most likely will lose the clip or replace it wrong, they may take the whole device off and replace it with a common self tapping drain plug and not even tell you, they may leave it 'open' and you drive your car out of the oil change place with a steady stream of oil pouring out until you car dies.

·
Registered
324 Posts
We have been using similar valves in aviation for quite some time. I have never had an issue with them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks like a must-do on my first oil change! I think it could eliminate the need to take the felt panel off every time you did an oil change. You could cut a small hole under the valve, and have the hose extend 1" past it, and cut one big enough at the front to get a filter wrench on the filter. That would make oil changes a breeze!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Looks like a must-do on my first oil change! I think it could eliminate the need to take the felt panel off every time you did an oil change. You could cut a small hole under the valve, and have the hose extend 1" past it, and cut one big enough at the front to get a filter wrench on the filter. That would make oil changes a breeze!
Don't forget the opening for the hose has to be big enough to reach in and open the valve. So two pretty big holes in the aeroshield.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Don't forget the opening for the hose has to be big enough to reach in and open the valve. So two pretty big holes in the aeroshield.
I' m thinking 1.5-2.0" ought to be plenty to get a finger - or needlenose pliers - up there to open/close the valve.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
I just bought one 2 or 3 weeks ago. Put it on. No leaks so far. Very tight fitment. Quality made. Awesome customer service for it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
These seem to work fine, and if your car has an awkwardly placed drain plug, would be an great solution. But the drain valve on the Focus is dead-easy to access, so I'm not sure it's much of a benefit to us.

Also, if you ever have an oil changes done by a (shudder) third party, be aware they don't always know what to make of a Fumoto valve and have been known to remove it instead of just opening it, resulting in leaks and misdirected drain valves.
I just bought one 2 or 3 weeks ago. Put it on. No leaks so far. Very tight fitment. Quality made. Awesome customer service for it.
Did you get the one with the plastic elbow?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Did you get the one with the plastic elbow?
I did not, I just got the lowest profile one so to say. I can always fine a rubber hose to stick on the end of it.

I didnt want to get the elbow, because I am lowered 2 inches, but I see from your picture you have little clearance as well. I don't have a body cover, but with the one I have it is above the oil pan. So i don't have to worry about anything hitting in. 2000 miles to go till i test it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I did not, I just got the lowest profile one so to say. I can always fine a rubber hose to stick on the end of it.

I didnt want to get the elbow, because I am lowered 2 inches, but I see from your picture you have little clearance as well. I don't have a body cover, but with the one I have it is above the oil pan. So i don't have to worry about anything hitting in. 2000 miles to go till i test it.
Yeah, that's right and it's kind of what's stopping me from getting this valve

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Just the undercoating haha or what would drip if I wasn't careful with taking the filter out. I'm doing better about it. It's not a new one though. 12 years old.

I have never leaked oil. Only what drips when I take the filter off.

You would be fine getting that plug. There are no clearance issues with it. It's custom fit, and it really is. Threads and size are spot on. The only way you could hit it would be smashing your oil pan. The switch for it is at the top where nothing can hit it.

Reactions: xtophr
1 - 20 of 20 Posts