Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a set of snow tires and wheels. Just wondering (because I"m too lazy to actually try it) ... how well will a full sized spare fit in the hole in the trunk?

My snow tires are 185/65-15 so a bit narrower than the stock 195/60-15 (but once winter rolls in I"ll have a stocker as a spare).

·
Registered
302 Posts
I also would like a answer to this question!. When I bought my 08 SES the factory included a spare temporary type tire and factory jack instead of the cheep inflator kit many other 08 owners received (I like to assume Ford used the inflator kit to cut auto weight for fuel economy reasons and not for cheapness reasons). Yes, the temporary spare is much better than the cheep inflator kit but I too would like to buy a full size wheel and put a new full size matching spare tire on it. I feel that nasty inflator kit Ford put in many 08s wont do much good in the middle of the desert with a blown out sidewall on a tire!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not a huge fan of donuts, even. I live in the northeast - it rains, it snows ... there's no way I'm putting a mini sized bald tire on.

I'm sure one will fit in the hole in the trunk, but it may cuase everything to stick up a bit.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Won't fit i tried. Sorry

My 15" factory won't fit nor my 17" won't fit.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Yeah...that donut barely fits in there. There's a 0% chance that a full-size spare could squeeze in.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Just put your other stuff in the hole and put the wheel/tire in the trunk.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Idk about yall but I have a 195/50/15 in my spare well and it tits but it isn't level so the floor sticks up.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Funny funny typing on a phone is hard.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Perhaps a new product is in order! A new molded trunk floor with a molded area designed to house a full size spare tire and lay flat in the factory slot!. Just a idea I dont know if it would sell but I know if it fit well and looked OEM enough I would buy one.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tauruses came with the option of a full sized spare for fleet use and had a raised carpet like that.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
depending on how much it sticks up you could make a false floor to raise the current one an inch or 2. keep in mind i havent actually measured how much it would need to be raised just estimated.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Roughly around 1.5". Done the measurements but never got supplies to further take on the project.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it's only 1.5'' that's not a problem at all. It stuck up more in the Taurus ... I'll just set the carpet on the tire and call it a day.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
If it's only 1.5'' that's not a problem at all. It stuck up more in the Taurus ... I'll just set the carpet on the tire and call it a day.
doin that will just have a slight wobble on the trunk bottom liner

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I would do it if I wasn't selling mine.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
The '12s have the option of a full size spare, as a side effect it raises the floor of the truck about 1.5"
Should not be too hard to do, so long as you don't have crazy big tires.

·
Registered
76 Posts
my first cars had full spares, then they went to space savers. Boy was I surprised to learn that they don't even put those (space savers) in some new cars these days, only a can of fix-a-flat.

However, I can count on one hand how many times I actually needed to use the spare, and when I did, it was flat too.

Guess I've been lucky so far.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
my first cars had full spares, then they went to space savers. Boy was I surprised to learn that they don't even put those (space savers) in some new cars these days, only a can of fix-a-flat.

However, I can count on one hand how many times I actually needed to use the spare, and when I did, it was flat too.

Guess I've been lucky so far.
how did you go about the cf on your dash?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts