Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've removed the full sized spare from my Ti Hatch because it weighs about 40lbs. Replaced with a nice can of fix-a-flat. However the rear floor area now bows when I load it since the spare was what held it up and in place.

Anyone got a lightweight fix for supporting the rear hatch floor pad that will prevent bowing and not add a lot of weight? I'm thinking some aluminum slats that I can mold into the foam pieces below the pad.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Air is heavy. Ever tried to lift a compressed gas canister? If you take the air out of the spare tire, you'll reduce its weight considerably. Just do that and put the regular spare back in place. You'll save about 80% of the weight that way. Another tip is to remove the rim. That will save most of the rest of the weight and has the added bonus of ensuring no air will ever be compressed into that tire again.

Another helpful hint brought to you by your friendly neighbourhood genius. [idea]

·
Registered
187 Posts
Air is heavy. Ever tried to lift a compressed gas canister? If you take the air out of the spare tire, you'll reduce its weight considerably. Just do that and put the regular spare back in place. You'll save about 80% of the weight that way. Another tip is to remove the rim. That will save most of the rest of the weight and has the added bonus of ensuring no air will ever be compressed into that tire again.

Another helpful hint brought to you by your friendly neighbourhood genius. [idea]
That is silly. Everyone knows you fill your spare with helium to make it lighter than air. [rofl]

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts

what? 80% of a wheel and tire combo's weight is air? really please post a link to that "science"

fix a flat sucks, i will not repair and tire that has been filled with fix a flat. They never balance and i just hate it, its sticky, smells and is just plain old awful... works in my mowers, that's it.

I keep a tire plug kit in my car. you could get one and a small compressor that does not weight to much.

If you want to keep the can o crap, i would go get some packaging stryofoam. the hard stuff. then cut out a shape to support the cover.... unless that air weighs to much[???:)] you could even make a little storage tray, if needed.

and whats to point of keeping the spare with out the rim? going to change the tire on the side of the road?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is silly. Everyone knows you fill your spare with helium to make it lighter than air. [rofl]
Must be that Canadian sense of humor coming through... [:D]

I've always felt that if I could take off the body panels, hood, doors, hatch, sunroof, windows, etc... I'd get better gas mileage. But of course I could've just bought a go-kart for a lot less.[scratch]

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've removed the full sized spare from my Ti Hatch because it weighs about 40lbs. Replaced with a nice can of fix-a-flat. However the rear floor area now bows when I load it since the spare was what held it up and in place.

Anyone got a lightweight fix for supporting the rear hatch floor pad that will prevent bowing and not add a lot of weight? I'm thinking some aluminum slats that I can mold into the foam pieces below the pad.
Just to throw my two cents into this thread.... I have never owned a vehicle with tire pressure sensors/indicators and am not exactly sure how it precisely works, but wouldn't that "fix-a-flat" stuff gunk up your sensor? Possibly causing problems even after the flat was repaired or replaced?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Unless you are looking for more storage taking out the full size spare.....don't get the reasoning behind this. Your not going to get better MPG with taking out the spare.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what? 80% of a wheel and tire combo's weight is air? really please post a link to that "science"

fix a flat sucks, i will not repair and tire that has been filled with fix a flat. They never balance and i just hate it, its sticky, smells and is just plain old awful... works in my mowers, that's it.

I keep a tire plug kit in my car. you could get one and a small compressor that does not weight to much.

If you want to keep the can o crap, i would go get some packaging stryofoam. the hard stuff. then cut out a shape to support the cover.... unless that air weighs to much[???:)] you could even make a little storage tray, if needed.

and whats to point of keeping the spare with out the rim? going to change the tire on the side of the road?
Lighten up dude, it was obviously a dry attempt at humor... I'm not really that concerned about the weight for any other reason than ride quality and a small savings in gas mileage.

Plugs are in there, along with the can of slime (really for my wife's benefit). There's nothing wrong with fixing a tire with it in an emergency, especially when you weigh the risks of changing a tire on I-285 at rush hour. You simply make sure that the tire store takes the tire off the rim when it's repaired and they can clean the inside of the tire and remount it. Situation resolved and you're not risking life and limb with people whipping past you at 90MPH.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just to throw my two cents into this thread.... I have never owned a vehicle with tire pressure sensors/indicators and am not exactly sure how it precisely works, but wouldn't that "fix-a-flat" stuff gunk up your sensor? Possibly causing problems even after the flat was repaired or replaced?
i believe this is accurate.....fix a flat screws tpms sensors

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They replace the sensors (in the valve stem) whenever they dismount the tire. It's part of the process. I just went through this with the manager at the local Discount Tire store when discussing remounting my Michelins on the new rims I ordered. If memory serves, it like $5 per tire.

·
Registered
68 Posts
They replace the sensors (in the valve stem) whenever they dismount the tire. It's part of the process. I just went through this with the manager at the local Discount Tire store when discussing remounting my Michelins on the new rims I ordered. If memory serves, it like $5 per tire.
thanks for the info

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Back on topic, you could put in a few straps, much like the set up on a lawn chair. It would weigh next to nothing and preserve almost all the open space in case you'd like to use it for storage.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back on topic, you could put in a few straps, much like the set up on a lawn chair. It would weigh next to nothing and preserve almost all the open space in case you'd like to use it for storage.
Now that's an idea! Hadn't thought of that one.

It really wouldn't matter if I didn't have the full-sized spare. Unfortunately, that spare requires the foam underneath to be almost twice as tall as the doughnut, making the pad sit much higher in the center than the jack mount. I'm still leaning toward the aluminum slats idea, but the straps could potentially be a good alternative.

·
Registered
495 Posts
or possible interlocking polystyrene pieces cut with slots or E shape (similar to what you would find in a case of bud light to prevent the bottles from clanking together) with a sheet on top.....should be strong enough and very lightweight

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
or possible interlocking polystyrene pieces (similar to what you would find in a case of bud light to prevent the bottles from clanking together)
I can definitely relate to that![cheers][cheers]

·
Registered
772 Posts
They didn't replace the sensors for $5 a tire, maybe the stems themselves but not the sensor. The sensor is attached to the back of the stem and sits on the inside lip of the rim. They are about $80 a piece so they are expensive when they are messed up.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They didn't replace the sensors for $5 a tire, maybe the stems themselves but not the sensor. The sensor is attached to the back of the stem and sits on the inside lip of the rim. They are about $80 a piece so they are expensive when they are messed up.
I would have to agree, I thought that price seemed a little odd. I'm sure they'd reuse the sensors and replace the stems as you stated, so maybe the slime is a bad idea if it fouls up the sensors. I'll cross that bridge when/if it ever comes up. I haven't received the aftermarket rims yet, but I'll make sure to ask about this when they do the retrofit.

I've had my SportTrac for 10+ years and the spare has never been lowered to the ground, so hopefully my luck will hold.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Lighten up dude, it was obviously a dry attempt at humor... I'm not really that concerned about the weight for any other reason than ride quality and a small savings in gas mileage.

Plugs are in there, along with the can of slime (really for my wife's benefit). There's nothing wrong with fixing a tire with it in an emergency, especially when you weigh the risks of changing a tire on I-285 at rush hour. You simply make sure that the tire store takes the tire off the rim when it's repaired and they can clean the inside of the tire and remount it. Situation resolved and you're not risking life and limb with people whipping past you at 90MPH.
Yup, one very dry sense of humour here [pray] Can't believe someone didn't get that [boxface]

1 - 20 of 40 Posts