Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spoiled my car today. I finally installed my Wink Rearview mirror. Its a rally edition rear view mirror that goes across the whole dashboard. It is five mirrors angled towards the drivers seat. I also added some tint to her. I used Metrodecal's smokeout tint.

Wink mirror

kinda hard to see with the glare but here is a front view(I added the Fatlace decal)

and now tint(taillights, rear badge, lower rear reflectors, and steeringwheel badge).........debaged is in the near future, kinda hard to get a blow dryer in an apt complex parking lot haha

before(with led reverse)

after

turn signals(after only sry)

reflectors

steering wheel

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
thats interesting

·
Registered
747 Posts
Holy crap, are you serious man? That mirror, can you not move your head back and forth.

·
Registered
251 Posts
that a radar showing ... where is it connected?

I think this is the right mirror for a family with 2 year old twins in the back seat.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess its something you gotta see in real life to capture its amazingness

that a radar showing ... where is it connected?

I think this is the right mirror for a family with 2 year old twins in the back seat.
I wired it down the side panel to under the drivers seat where i have a outlet splitter connected to the backseat 12v outlet. Its nice and clean over on the side and not right obnoxious being in the middle of my windsheild

·
Registered
210 Posts
It looks like you'd be able to see the whole back and side of the car using that thing. Isn't it a big distraction though?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I guess its something you gotta see in real life to capture its amazingness
Yeah, At first i was like WOW[80?]
But thinking about it , that mirror is really cool.
It is always hard to get the perfect arrangement of rear views, but with that mirror, i thnk you have it covered.
And i would agree, once you are used to it, it is really useful.
Thanks for a cool item i never saw anywhere before.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its not really a distraction since it isnt any taller than the OEM mirror, its even slimmer. It gives a 10 times better picture since it is a flat mirror, where the original mirror is similar to the passenger mirror that makes images look smaller then they are so that the old rear view can fit everything in. The only way to describe it is a High Def rear view haha. Im constantly on the beltway and it makes it so much easier to navigate through cars

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The one problem is high, and really bright headlights behind you.
Here for some reason the police do not stop kids from tilting one headlight into the rear window area of a car right in front of them. It is a very common thing, and the headlight aimed directly into the rear widow is annoying. Let alone with FIVE rear view mirrors doing the reflecting. Also then trucks and SUVs with tall and super bright headlights.. How do you deal with those?

(i always wanted a 24 volt airplane landing light out the rear window set up with a relay (plus addd battery to get 24V) to auto on if the light is glaring into the rear.. it would be 100% illegal, but worth the ticket i might get... Or even a half dozen high beam sealed units from a Pontiac. (those flat rectangal ones) across the rear to go on anytime i wanted. Even cover them in red so they would be 'taillights' LOL

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The one problem is high, and really bright headlights behind you.
Here for some reason the police do not stop kids from tilting one headlight into the rear window area of a car right in front of them. It is a very common thing, and the headlight aimed directly into the rear widow is annoying. Let alone with FIVE rear view mirrors doing the reflecting. Also then trucks and SUVs with tall and super bright headlights.. How do you deal with those?

(i always wanted a 24 volt airplane landing light out the rear window set up with a relay (plus addd battery to get 24V) to auto on if the light is glaring into the rear.. it would be 100% illegal, but worth the ticket i might get... Or even a half dozen high beam sealed units from a Pontiac. (those flat rectangal ones) across the rear to go on anytime i wanted. Even cover them in red so they would be 'taillights' LOL
I had my friend with a F-150 a HIDs follow behind me at night and it wasnt too bad, not too much than before. And that airplane light idea sounds nutts(in a good way) haha. My friend added two super bright offroad lights he added to the back of his tocoma for reverse but he had them on a switch and would mess with ppl all the time

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine still shoots behind the car, I dont really know how these work but mine picks up signals pretty well even around bends, through trees, etc. I dont know what model or company mine is at all. I got it at a garage sale. But it works. Ive only been pulled over once in a year(knock on wood) with this guy and I even asked the cop if he was shooting radar because my detector didnt pick him up. he said he had a radar detector jammer :( there getting smarter

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had one of those mirrors in my first car, a used 1962 Rambler. I thought it was great, but the Rambler had a lot better internal sight lines (no headrests, shoulder belts, narrow pillars, tall rear window etc).

It occured to me that if the manufacturer could design in three or more HD cameras with the appropriate wide angle lenses, and stitch the image together in a wide-thin panaromic display like that then we might not nead mirrors at all, and no special backup camera. it would make the sides of the car cleaner with no mirrors and would ensure total situational awareness and less neck-craning with just one place to look. They could even make the display auto-darken to selectively blot out headlights, but leave the rest of the scene bright (e.g. so at night you can tell if the car behind you is a cop [8D]).

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Rear view camera generation 2

I had one of those mirrors in my first car, a used 1962 Rambler. I thought it was great, but the Rambler had a lot better internal sight lines (no headrests, shoulder belts, narrow pillars, tall rear window etc).
I remember seeing ads for those wink mirrors in the back of every issue of Road & Track, probably in the '70s, and had wondered why nobody uses them any more. It seemed like the CHP paid a bit of extra attention to cars that had them, since they were usually owned by people who drove a bit more "enthusiastically" than most. (So I've heard.) They would probably have scratched their head at the sight of one in a 1962 Rambler, though. [scratch] I guess now they're back from the land of the Flowbee, and other lost inventions.

It occured to me that if the manufacturer could design in three or more HD cameras with the appropriate wide angle lenses, and stitch the image together in a wide-thin panaromic display like that then we might not nead mirrors at all, and no special backup camera. it would make the sides of the car cleaner with no mirrors and would ensure total situational awareness and less neck-craning with just one place to look. They could even make the display auto-darken to selectively blot out headlights, but leave the rest of the scene bright (e.g. so at night you can tell if the car behind you is a cop [8D]).
I have wondered for a while how long before something like that shows up in new cars. It would also be handy to have one of the camera lenses just inside the top of the front wheel wells looking down at the curb for parking. (I don't want Park Assist, but wouldn't mind a video assist so I can park for myself even more carefully.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts