Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 ZX3 and will be turboing it here in the coming weeks.I noticed the fuel system is returnless.What are people doing to get by this without doing a return system?

·
FF Affiliate
30,887 Posts
Do the guys that are doing your kit not have anything for tuning the Zetec

Words of warning DO NOT try to do this with out larger injectors 42`s recal mass air and somthing to controle timing and fuel

Also loose the internal waste gate there crap

Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1turbofocus said:
Do the guys that are doing your kit not have anything for tuning the Zetec

Words of warning DO NOT try to do this with out larger injectors 42`s recal mass air and somthing to controle timing and fuel

Also loose the internal waste gate there crap

Tom

They said they can do do it in the chip also.I thought it sounded odd and thought I would ask around.Yes, they are using a Pro-M meter and 42# injectors.

Tom,

I know Mental Addiction Motorsports is looking for someone to do the Focus chip's for there kit's.Who would you recommend?
I'm only wanting to push 6-8psi and thought the internal wastegate would be ok.They recommend a Tial 38mm but the added cost will be hard to come up with(money is tight) in the next few weeks. Do you have any advice for me?

·
FF Affiliate
30,887 Posts
Did the math with no external waste gate or tuning thats no deal you would be better off going with my kit with everything you need and proven not to kill the engine

Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1turbofocus said:
Did the math with no external waste gate or tuning thats no deal you would be better off going with my kit with everything you need and proven not to kill the engine

Tom

I'm not paying very much for the kit.This is what I'm getting:
Super60 T-3 internal wastegate
Stainless header
2.5 stainless downpipe
4-42# injectors
ProM meter
Extruded air/air intercooler(upgrade) core w/ 2.5 inlet and outlet
all piping
T-bolt clamps
Billet BOV (similar to the bosch except it's aluminum)
chip
etc.

I'm getting everything at cost and no labor charges because I'm the test bed car.I don't want to post how much I'm paying because it's VERY cheap.
They said If I wanted to external wastegate it would be another $225.Since I'm only going to run 6psi the stock internal wastegate will support that and with money being tight it should be fine.
The Protege kit they designed is very nice.They are using a log style header similar to yours, but it's 1/8 thick.They are warranting there header for 5 years unlimited miles.
I will post pictures of this project.

·
Registered
59 Posts
04Zetec. Id say go with it, internal wastegate is fine for the amount of boost that your going to run. Id take the deal and learn from that. Feel how the car handles with more power before going all balls out. Once you feel your ready, start upgrading different stuff.
Being the test bed though might suck. If your engine blows, will they cover it? Your warrenty is void as soon as one bolt gets wrenched on the block, so long as they can prove that it was your fault.

·
Registered
84 Posts
dood...if its cheap for ya then go for it...

On the integral wastegate, they are fine as long as you aren't goin for LOTS of boost...you'll be fine...

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I love when folks with few posts give people advise on what to do to their cars.

First off, to save yourself some aggravation do not skimp on anything. It may cost a bit more for an external wastegate but I say go for it.

Do not go cheap on a focus turbo kit!

Does your tuner have the ability to tune your combination taking into all the variables with the focus? For example, what are they going to do about changing the a/f and timing?

In your parts list you show a chip? What kind?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
focaltech said:
I love when folks with few posts give people advise on what to do to their cars.

First off, to save yourself some aggravation do not skimp on anything. It may cost a bit more for an external wastegate but I say go for it.

Do not go cheap on a focus turbo kit!

Does your tuner have the ability to tune your combination taking into all the variables with the focus? For example, what are they going to do about changing the a/f and timing?

In your parts list you show a chip? What kind?
Tom,

Post counts do not mean you know more than a guy with less posts.
Mental Addiction Motorsports is doing the kit.They are going to use a local chip guy for the chips.They have been using them for awhile and like what he produces.
They are open for options on the chip though.
I talked with them today and the owner said the intercooler core alone is 23x6x3 extrudded core.
I will be dropping the car off there soon.The parts are already showing up there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
spyride said:
04Zetec. Id say go with it, internal wastegate is fine for the amount of boost that your going to run. Id take the deal and learn from that. Feel how the car handles with more power before going all balls out. Once you feel your ready, start upgrading different stuff.
Being the test bed though might suck. If your engine blows, will they cover it? Your warrenty is void as soon as one bolt gets wrenched on the block, so long as they can prove that it was your fault.

They said the tune will be for 6psi and the motor will live on that.We talked about possibly blowing up the motor and they said it's very possible, but feel very secure with 6psi and not blowing it up.They said if it does blow up they will build me a forged shortblock for free.
I agree with the test bed thing, but I have seen some of there work and like there quality and the way they think.But we will see how things go once they have my car.
Right now they are finishing up a Mazda Protege 5 and my car is next.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
The problem is that they have done V8 cars from what I have seen. Not just any tuner can do a focus chip. I ask again what chip are they going to use?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
focaltech said:
The problem is that they have done V8 cars from what I have seen. Not just any tuner can do a focus chip. I ask again what chip are they going to use?

Yes, they are mainly V8's.They have done a few Honda's and Mazda's.
They are still open for options for chip's, but are probably going to use a place called Street Flight.3 of the people at Mental Addiction have gone to AEM's advanced tuning class in CA.They told me from the begining that they have never personaly tuned a focus, and that's why they are going to look outside and find someone that has.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts