Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a pre-owned 2000 ZTS with 74, 000 miles on it for my son. On his way back to school it started to bog down and act like it had no power on the highway. When he got off the ramp it died.

The low gas light came on so I thought the gas gauge was off. We put gas in it the next day and it started right up. I thought the fuel filter might be dirty and had it replaced and filled up the tank. Several days later it was doing the same thing again and it was below 1/4 tank and the check engine light came on.

After finding this forum and researching the problem I was convinced it was the Fuel Delivery Module (FDM) that was be replaced by Ford under warranty. We brought the car into a local Ford delearship expecting to have the FDM replaced under warranty. We get a voice message back saying the car needs a new throttle body and wiring harness but they did not mention the FDM. They said the repair will be $465 to me.

I searched the forum and could not find other posts with the same problems. My concern is they are trying to run up the bill on us for the throttle body and wiring harness but at the same time change the FDM and bill Ford for the warranty work.

Since I have not spoken to them directly yet, I did not find out what the codes were for the check engine light. I will speak to them on Monday. Has anyone had to have their throttle body and/or wiring harness replaced to solve the fuel problem.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to provide the background info. Thanks in advance for any help or insight you may have.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
It could be the TPS (throttle position sensor) is shot and the wiring harness is worn out, or they could just be trying to pull a fast one on you. I seriously doubt that the wiring harness and TB/TPS are both bad at the same time, and the only reason I can think of them saying that the TB needs to be replaced is some dealers won't sell you a TPS seperate of the throttle body...they'll only sell you the entire assembly (TB+TPS.) For the throttle body to actually need to be replaced, there would have to be actual physical damage to it, which I seriously doubt.

·
Registered
167 Posts
click the search button on this forum and type fuel pump.

You'll notice everything you've just mentioned has hapenned to MANY people who have 2000-2001 model years.

Call Ford or a dealer, give them your VIN and ask what recalls are left pertaining to this car. Try to leave out the fact that your car stalls and you think or know it's the fuel pump. Once you've heard what you need to hear take it from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts