Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So I have a 2017 SEL and I noticed that the RS has a slightly bigger fuel tank compared with all other trims 13.9 for the RS compared to 12.4 on everything else. I was wondering if it would be possible to install the RS fuel tank into the other trim levels (SEL in my case). Has it been done before, would it require me to majorly modify my body to accommodate the larger tank or would it require only minimal modifications, like drilling extra holes and whatnot. I know the other trims get good gas mileage already, but I wanted to see if I could get a bigger tank so I can go further without a fill-up. Thanks in advanced for your help.

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
73 Posts
It's totally not worth the trouble even thinking about such a project as a 1.5 gallon gain on an already gas sipping car wouldn't be worth the effort. You already get over 400 mile range...
The basic body is essentially the same between all gas models of Focus so I'm betting that it would physically fit unless the RS body has been modified from the factory to accept a bigger tank. It's the rest of the fuel system that probably isn't compatible with the bigger/different tank. The pump, fuel line size, and locations/types of connections may all be different for the RS.
There is also the possibility that a small reserve tank is fitted instead of a bigger overall main tank. For instance Mustang II v8 models have an extra small tank located between the gas filler and the main tank to help the gas guzzling 70's 302 get a bit more range since compared to the 4 or 6 cylinder models you'd be stopping for gas constantly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts