Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain the fuel system? Or share a link that I couldn't find?
How it works? What's involved? ( sensors etc.) Proper idle and driving fuel pressures?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Buy a Haynes.............you're asking for a lot.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
"simple" description is a returnless system with pressure controlled by the PCM through a driver module under the back seat running the fuel pump.

Pressure sensor in the fuel rail referencing intake pressure/vacuum, 40 psi plus is normal (low end of 40-50 range). There's a pressure accumulator that modulates pulses to smooth the pressure at the rail (disc in-line to the fuel line for zetecs, on the rail for duratecs).

Inertia cut-off switch in the passenger side kick panel to shut off power to the fuel pump in case of collision.

Them's the basics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you my man. Just what i was looking for. Just purchased a Ford Shop manuel as well.
Thanks for the reply

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hope it helped a little, quite different than the "simpler" return type systems with constant flow controlled by a pressure regulator.

There's an advantage for emissions control, you aren't splashing warmed fuel back into the tank to increase vapor pressure back there = more fuel vapor to deal with.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Good man that sailor...............two thumbs up.

FYI there IS a bypass fuel return circuit in the pump module itself. It keeps the module cup full.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts