Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should the relative fuel pressure be showing on the scanner both when key on engine off and running?

Mine is 40+/- 2 psi

This is on an '03 2.3 duratec.

Thanx

Greg

·
Registered
165 Posts
The 2003 ford workshop is missing the fuel pressure for the 2.3L But in 2004 it says 35-70 key on engine off. The 2.0L for both years is that also and should be correct for 2.3L. Also pressure should not drop more than 5 psi in one minute.

·
FF Affiliate
30,770 Posts
What should the relative fuel pressure be showing on the scanner both when key on engine off and running?

Mine is 40+/- 2 psi

This is on an '03 2.3 duratec.

Thanx

Greg
Thats about right

Tom

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, sounds like I'm on the low end. I will check the bleed down and the startup press after sitting overnight.
Reason I'm asking, is that I'm starting to get a startup rough idle/long crank time on morning startups. So I'm thinking fuel pump is going. Worse the cooler it is.

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could be mechanical resistance between fuel pump and supply EG Fuel filter. Change fuel filter maybe? Also, dribbling injectors would cause black smoke upon start up and explain if the fuel system loses pressure when you turn the engine off. If you have a gauge check the system is holding pressure after the engine has been switched off say 20 mins later

·
Registered
58 Posts
40 psi is exactly right on the 2.3L duratec, don't worry about the 35-70 range, the computer seems to target 40 and that's that. You'd need to watch a graph to see if it was slow to build. I'd start thinking about other causes, like old spark plug spring connectors (big source of problems at this age), weak battery, vacuum leaks, etc.

·
Registered
16,343 Posts
On a GDI motor the pressure is much higher.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts