Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2002 ZX5. Yesterday it was driven to work, and it ran perfectly fine. When I went to go home, it cranks over fine, but it never even tries to fire. My thought was that it's either electrical or fuel related. I checked the belts, both fine. I checked for spark, there is. I checked the fuses, all fine.

So I suspect that it's the fuel pump. When I turn on the key, I don't hear the pump at all. So I disconnected the fuel line where it connects to the injectors and tried to crank it over, no fuel came out of it.

That tells me that I'm on the right track that it's the fuel pump. Am I?
If it is, I'm not sure if I can change it if I have to drop the fuel tank, as I don't have the ability to lift the car up that high. I saw some videos on youtube about going through the interior by cutting a hole under the seats. Would that be a better way to go about it? Or would it be better to have an actual mechanic work on it instead of an amateur? But how much would that cost? Any ideas or comments would definitely help.
Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
Before you start ripping the car apart, check the fuel cutoff switch on the right side footwell area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried the fuel cutoff switch. It worked, for a minute. After pressing it, I was able to start the car, but it was very rough and only ran for about a minute, then it was back to the same as before. So now I've got the dilemma of wondering it is the cutoff switch or the fuel pump itself. I was going to buy a new switch before attempting anything else, but I can't find it. I tried Autozone, as they are right here, but they had no idea what I was talking about. Then I tried rockauto.com, my usual go to website, but I can't find it on there either. Does it have a technical name that I should find it under?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
If you think that the fuel cutoff switch is your problem, then one way to test for that is to jump the pins/connectors together on it. If it solves your problem, then you can get another switch...boneyards are full of them if you can't buy new. Don't leave it jumped long term though as the switch is there in case of an accident. It shuts the fuel off and hopefully prevents a fire.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I forgot to say that based on your description of "I was able to start the car, but it was very rough and only ran for about a minute", I think you may have a fuel pump problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'd say fuel pump. if you hit the bottom of the tank with a hammer you might be Abe to restart the fuel pump, that might help you tell if it's the pump.

if the car is an early 2002 model you'll want to get the updated pump.

if you replace it with the same pump, you'll have to keep the tank half full at minimum at all times or it'll stall out like ours does.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
You can't get anything BUT the updated pump, any pump by itself only fits that updated housing as well and will not work in the earlier one.

Short or jumper across the inertia switch as said to check it, but probably still the pump. When they die like that they often can bump back to working for just a second or two then spit out their guts again. It would be odd for the inertia switch to do that but not impossible. Switch is a dealer part only and could easily be NLA. Junkyard ones should be reasonably reliable as they tuck in under dash where semi protected from rain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts