Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Airtex part # FS216

I've been looking for a new strainer for some time and every time you look under a Focus it does not show up, tried nearly every e-cat and paper catalog. Today I wanted one real bad and did some through research. Turns out the Jaguar S-Type uses the same pump and strainer/s. Yay for having Jaguar parts on my car [unsure].

So if you have the update pump this is the strainer for you.
I'd recommend changing it if you haven't already and from that point change it every 2 years or 30,000 miles to prolong the lifespan of your fuel pump.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hate to bring back the dead but, would you care to elaborate on "cutting the access door?" I'm assuming that you mean to make 3 cuts and pull the sheet metal back to access the fuel pump housing/sender? I'd very much like to see some pics on this as I plan on changing out my pump strainer in the next 2 weeks and hate to drop the tank.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks. Now what do you do about covering it back?

·
Registered
94 Posts
DUCT TAPE[rofl]

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
you dont lol
BTW PLEASE!!!!
be extremely careful doing this. as you can see it is very close there and if you get too excited you could easily cut through to your gas tank. also be careful and consider carefully whether you want to do this or not. if you accidentally cut through the tank and send a spark into the tank you could be quite badly burned or even killed. it would be safer by a long stretch to just drop the tank and if you want THEN cut the hole. i just wanted to air on the side of caution. do as you please

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cut with a tin snips. Kinda why it is an ugly hole.

I have had the open hole for years now. Have never got water up there. Will get a little dust through the hole but nothing real bad. A little access door would be nice, but I have no clue what I did with the chunk I cut out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Guys,
Just started working on this -

the fuel pump access tutorial I found on this forum is below

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276213

I went to the junkyard first to make sure they had a donor focus. I drilled holes in the corners of the square of metal over the fuel pump and used a hammer and screwdriver to cut the metal - no problem cutting hoses etc. - though very very slow and arduous going. While I was there i pulled the fuel pump out too! (can't hurt to have a spare, right?).

However, the sock looks pretty dirty. I'd like to know if you have any recommendations for where to get a new one specifically?

The one you posted does not look like the same part (different bag shape) - does this matter?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
just go to any parts house and they will be able to find either the airtex FS216 or cross over to another brand.

Just for the record, the reason they don't list just the strainer is because every fuel pump for this car comes WITH a strainer.

·
Registered
16,028 Posts
Those socks can be stained as hell and still be cleaned to work like new, the trick is to use water, the water takes off ethanol borne crap that solvent will not touch. I simply use mine over after a good cleaning and compressed air blowout. It will be stained but the pores are open like a new one, driving on 4 different cars done like that for years. I wouldn't buy new strainer unless it's damaged, have never ever had to in countless cars and 45 years driving.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New one costs a whopping $10.
I see no issue with replacing vs trying to clean.

Do you also use water and compressed air to clean your inline fuel filter?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just an FYI there are two strainers on our pump modules the FS216 is the external strainer and FS209 is the internal strainer that is right on the pump and is more likely to clog.

Here is a shot of the inside of the canister showing the dirt that collects there. I only had about 65,000 miles on this and that's how much junk was in there.

·
Registered
16,028 Posts
.............and some two years later............

'Do you also use water and compressed air to clean your inline fuel filter?'

No, the filter matrix is often paper or some sort of paperlike compound there. BUT, I have cleaned them to reuse before, yes. As long as they flow well they work fine. A simple backflow can remove huge amounts of deposit there. I shake them while full of fuel and then drain it backwards. Blow out LIGHTLY with air, no hard pressure applied. They work fine afterward on the cars.

I'd also like to point out the OP pic showing strainers of a double layer media, the ones I reuse are only single but they can be opened back up much easier than the two part media can, the finer opaque layer clogs up and will not unclog easily since the outer layer prevents trash from falling away from the inner. Probably best to not waste time trying to clean that two layer one there in pic. The single layer OEM one is durable plastic and even though stained they can be very 'pores open' and work like new. Why I don't toss the OEM one if that single layer stuff............

Yes new filter/strainer for ten bucks, big deal. Clean one to use over in 5 minutes or less, that's 1/12th hour, lemme see, 12X$10=$120/hr. payrate, please tell me who pays you that? Money is everywhere to be made at far less work than you do all day long, just open your eyes.............it's the small costs that add up to kill you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Those socks can be stained as hell and still be cleaned to work like new, the trick is to use water, the water takes off ethanol borne crap that solvent will not touch. I simply use mine over after a good cleaning and compressed air blowout. It will be stained but the pores are open like a new one, driving on 4 different cars done like that for years. I wouldn't buy new strainer unless it's damaged, have never ever had to in countless cars and 45 years driving.
That was the most significant advise when I repaired my -99 1.6 european focus, i took off the fuel pump again washed the sock, and then power came back, consumption dropped etc. Sock look like clear but.. Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts