Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power steering pump started making a lot more noise than usual. I thought to flush the system using the old pump with the return line going into a bucket using the starter motor and then replace the pump. Pages 158-159 of the 2007 SE PZEV 5sp. owners guide shows relay R7 as the fuled pump relay.
Is that the right relay? Do the relays just pull out? Mine isn't pulling up and out.
Please help. Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
Easier to pull the fuel pump fuse instead of the relay if you are wanting to shut the fuel off.

Relays will come out...wiggle and pull hard.

·
Registered
28 Posts
...Just to clarify, what exactly are you trying to drain?, the power steering or the fuel (gas) system?

Just checking as you start with the power steering giving you issues then jump right onto the fuel pump relay which is unrelated to the power steering.

If you are really trying to disable the fuel pump then yes, as said above removing the fuse is far easier then removing the relay (relays are in there nice n tight).

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
One yanks power to the fuel pump when cranking engine so it doesn't start. I undo the coil connector as well. Yank fuse rather than relay.

Might be using the starter a bit much doing that, can easily overheat them doing it.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yeah, it looks like he wants to drain his power steering lines with the old ps pump. But he doesn't want the engine to start in the process.

Here is an idea, gleaned it from WhyNot, press and hold your accelerator pedal to the floor and then turn the engine over - it won't start as long as you have the pedal floored.

Since you aren't concerned with fuel pressure, not changing a fuel filter or fuel components, you won't have to assault anything electrical. And you won't be dumping fuel into the cylinders, washing the oil away and dry. Holding the pedal to the floor disables the fuel injectors.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everybody, thanks for the info. Yes I did want to flush the p/ s system using the old pump and not start the engine. The owners guide does not show a fuse anywhere for the fuel pump, only a relay. The relay mounts on plastic parts and I was worried about damaging something. I couldn't pull it out with my fingers.

Using the cap the pump return nipple and extend the return hose to a bucket method I flushed the system by cranking the engine until it started and immediately shutting it off. Three of those and then refilling the reservoir worked good. Moved the wheels L &R and refilled 10 times. Took it for a ride and have clear fluid in the res. now. Pump changing time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts