Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is driving like crap lately, dying/cutting out under load at low rpms...changed the filter and checked ignition all good. It just threw the code P1233, so theres my red flag that the fuel pump is going out.

Called the stealership and they said my VIN wasnt under recall for that part and it was going to be about 600 bucks to do the job!! Needless to say I would like to do this myself if it isnt too big a PITA.

Looking around and I cannot find one How-To on this...let alone a pic of its location. Has anyone replaced their fuel pump? Can you offer some insight into how long, where it is exactly, etc?

·
Registered
491 Posts
It's NOT a recall. I don't understand why everyone thinks it's a recall. It's an extension of warranty. Up to 10 years or 150,000 whichever is first. They need $98.00 up front to check it out and see if it's really the pump, if it is, it's free.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice...didnt know it wasnt a recall, thats just how I keep seeing it listed in threads.

what years is it limited to?

**Penguin....you link took me to a list, but it wanted me to sign up to read the info. :( Thanks anyways

·
Registered
491 Posts
It's not a recall. I went to 5 different dealerships, without telling them any information on the car or VIN number, and they're all been trained to say the same thing... "it's not a recall, it's an extended coverage, up to 150,000 miles or 10 years, whichever is first."

http://www.autosafety.org/Focus03N01.pdf

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
^^ yeah, like I said...a recall [:p]

messin'.

Thanks Baggin', I see that its only 2000 - 20001....so I guess that leaves me screwed. [mad]

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so again, I will ask...has anyone swapped out a fuel pump?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I did it in school during my autos class. The pump....or 'fuel delivery module (FDM)' as Ford calls it, will cost you about $150. Here's a very basic outline of what to do....

1. Get car off the ground (a lift would be nice, but not necessary)
2. Disconnect all of the connections from the tank (fuel lines, vapor recovery lines, electric connections)
3. Drop the tank down (all the way out of the car and put it on something solid...like the ground). This will be easier without gas in it, but it isn't absolutely necessary until later.
4. Use the 'special Ford service tool' to remove the FDM retaining ring (aka-get the biggest set of channel locks you can find and go to work).
5. Pull the old pump out
6. Use another Ford tool, or an array of side cutters and pliers, to break out the plastic holding piece that the old FDM was attached to (I actually managed to break a set of pliers doing this....)
7. Clean all of the old retaining ring and any other crap from the tank.
8. Insert the new FDM and tighten the ring that you worked so to remove in step number 4.
9. Snap on the new lines to the top of the new FDM
10. Put the tank back where it belongs and reconnect everything.

It was more time consuming that overwhelmingly difficult. If you decide to do it yourself, make sure you buy the Hayne's manual (it will help A LOT because it has pictures and good descriptions), also, set aside enough time to do the job--don't try to rush it. Hope that helped.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks pkmgarf...I will have to pick the book up and take a good gander at it to make sure I wanna get myself into this. Hearing the terms "special Ford service tool" kinda makes me a little weary of diving in cause that = PITA w/ regular tools.

If I get a good look at the book, I will probably feel more comfortable doing it...just like to see what I am up against first.

Thanks for the breeze through!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Don't the the Ford tools scare you. The Hayne's manual actualy describes how to build your own 'special Ford tool,' at least the one to get the fuel pump out of the tank. The other one (the one to cut out the plastic ring that the fuel pump hooks to inside the tank) was the only challenging part, due to the fact that Ford changed the design so the Hayne's manual doesn't really cover it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts