Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all smart ones, I have a 2001 ford focus that has been standing in my garage for a few years, I came to start it after putting in a new battery. Of course it would not start so my diagnostics took me to the spark, fuse, relay. All GOOD. Then no fuel pressure so put a new pump kit in it. I now hear the humm. Still no pressure, I checked the line to the filter, yip, no fuel. Is this a bad pump again? It seems to trickle fuel to the filter after a long time standing. ???? Thanks Martin

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to it's own thread in General Tech Chat

Better way to post a new question.

Did you replace JUST the pump or the whole assy.?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'm not the best expert on this one for knowing which years had which setup, but from what others like amc49 have posted the early version (sets into a base in the tank) doesn't have a replacement pump avail. that works.

The replacement pumps are made for the later replacement version of the assembly (spring loaded) and won't work right when put into an original assy. that hasn't been replaced yet.

Hose problems in the assy. and issues with the filter 'sock" come up as well, particularly when trying to put that later replacement in an old one.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Sailor has it nailed, I think.

I haven't had to do a fuel pump yet in either of two first-gen Foci with huge mileage, so I've been lucky, but I have read lots of comments about not being able to use a kit with these.

You might be stuck buying the whole new pump assembly, sad to say.

Good job keeping another yellow hatch on the road!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just did my daughters 2002, 10-01 build date. Old style pump. Had to buy the whole pump module. Not real cheap. Used horse hoof nippers to remove old pump mounting in bottom of tank and trimmed flat with utility knife. Hardest part of the job is holding the spring loaded pump in place while starting the plastic lock ring. I used petroleum jelly to hold the seal in place and to lube the threads on the lock ring

1 - 7 of 7 Posts