Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Focus. When you turn the key on, there is an audible noise coming from the rear of the car and causes an extended crank time but does start and then runs fine.

If I turn the key off and on 3 times, I can get the noise at the rear to stop and the car starts normally (no extended crank time).

When I am running the air conditioner, I do notice an intermittent lack of power under load like going up a hill but no drop in RPM.

It's been like this for 18 months or so. I'm thinking that the fuel pump would have died by this point and that it could be another component. It's awfully similar to the 03N01 recall issue from what I've been researching but this car is 4 years newer. I am interested in trying a few other things before spending hundreds of dollars on a fuel pump.

Has anyone had any luck with this? Trying a new fuel pump driver module, or a fuel pressure sensor and new fuel filter are on my list first. But thought I'd hit you guys up if you have any more direct tips.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's an '05 with 52,000 miles on it. so, fairly low mileage but it's been a while. i think it was spring 2009, about 6-8 months before this started happening. probably about 35,000-40,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi nvtincher,

Have you resolved your fuel pump concerns? If not, then I recommend having the dealer diagnose your Focus. They will be able to determine the cause of your noise, and provide an estimate for the repair. If you would like my assistance, please let me know. Have a great day!

~Natasha

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem

I'm having the same problem on my 2005 Focus with 43,000 miles on it. I have to turn the key to the first notch 3 or 4 times to prime the pump before it will crank over. When the pump is priming, it making a horrible forced whining kind of sound. My local Ford dealer flashed my computer due to a TSB on long crank times and charged me $100 but the problem is only getting worse and I don't like the idea of bringing it back to them due to the way I was treated.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
probably your fuel filter, i think they are supposed to be changed ever 30k or something like that.
or if you idle alot/dusty climate or mostly low speed driving 15k

change the filter!! if its plugged up it will stop fuel from getting to your engine and make your pump work harder.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My 05 st is the same, i just leave it in the on poss. till the pump stops then it starts normal, no need to cycle the key on mine. always start at the cheapest part. Filter. that what im changing this weekend.

·
Registered
228 Posts
change the fuel filter. they cost $10. I changed mine last week, first time on a focus. it took about 20 minutes. on mine I had to unbolt one bolt that held the bracket to the car and then one bolt that held the filter in the bracket. the 2 plastic clips just snap out......I also would do a few treatments of Techron in the tank after the fuel filter swap........Techron is a GREAT product and has been known to free up sticky check valves, etc, besides it's main benefit of cleaning injectors....

·
Registered
505 Posts
Be careful about a few treatments of Techron. It is my favorite, but using more than the recommended amount per tank can soften seals and gaskets and repeated use can cause oil thickening. Chevron recommends changing the oil if more than three bottles are used.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I agree with JCH^^^^ I try to use the techron a week or 2 before an oil change. That being said a few of you seem to have bad filters or sticking check valves. I would change the filter and throw Techron in there. Advance has them 2 for 1 now

·
Registered
505 Posts
Advance has them 2 for 1 now
Sweet! Off to Advance; I just put my last bottle of Techron in my daughter's "new" 1998 Contour. Either the Techron or unplugging, testing (checked out okay) and reconnecting the coil pack and ignition wires worked, because she's not getting the "cylinder 4 misfire" code anymore. Just picked up a can of CRC MAF cleaner at Advance; buy the MAF cleaner, get a can of CRC throttle body and intake cleaner free. Stocking up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am referencing your post in another thread about a tranny swap-my speedo is not working-can you elaborate on the VSS wiring-the ground wiring? Does the old OSS reference/signal wire going to PCM need to be grounded? OK, sorry I'll go back to swap thread now.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I'm having the same problem on my 2005 Focus with 43,000 miles on it. I have to turn the key to the first notch 3 or 4 times to prime the pump before it will crank over. When the pump is priming, it making a horrible forced whining kind of sound. My local Ford dealer flashed my computer due to a TSB on long crank times and charged me $100 but the problem is only getting worse and I don't like the idea of bringing it back to them due to the way I was treated.
Hi Reije,

Would you like to discuss your treatment at the dealer? Please send me a private message with the details. I want to understand what occurred, and see if I can assist in any way.

~Natasha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts