Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a while ago I had a no prime noise issue on my 2001 Focus with a Zetec. Ended upo realizing I wasn't get voltage to my FPDM, swapped the engine control relay and she went for another 4 months.

Fast forward to today and no prime, no start, and my code reader is reading 0 psi for fuel rail pressure.

My question is, after reading page upon page of fuel pump issues, if I have to swap the fuel pump, what are the options if it's an old style pump? I can't find anyone talking about identifying them other than after you pull out the entire module, but it sounds like the tanks are different in some way. I don't want to go down the "mod the assembly to fit a new style pump" because everyone says it's not worth it, but if I don't can I buy an entire new assembly rather than just a new pump? For instance, if I had an old style pump without the metal support rods, could I just swap it out with https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8824632&cc=1385524&jsn=449&_nck=Ekt6BqBF1pwlXdx0gYlm1esw98pF26veF737MNv4v0LnRXPtLijhdCUprh9cSyTFnDEdUqgqS7t8RO6JmyrP1va1LS3FVIQdU642CgbfkPU9WzmhU9dgg%2BJTLsVCVqB4BM7bWABVoHlxbQ5QU%2Fw4eS4BZmjEPrqbi0VwpbEHv3DPuqmldnn6%2FsNdkQdZJQuGC0EisI1JfZOMGDX%2BqEhFHk6kUGAbIrbabkunBtkXVaZp2NFZMrQK%2BtvMdS62ZjIeyPUppyV7DwP0IiqWbiCA8J3PbrpeTA4ire6f73f%2BAXsXM72u0gXNiVme4uEU2zXqNSwZfEmDvZW9ZSgNgfC1f5Wce3bPhoiFn9es4IuASfaNLddcxGsIX3PyJcmPs77%2Bnv2GDZsBhHlGtT1C4tYu%2BVmxhoA4LurdLlQlkmDVE1xEfaDiw3Kp1w%3D%3D for example? Or is it a matter of the entire assembly does not fit in the tank? I haven't found a concise comparison between the two that would help me out

·
Registered
16,189 Posts
Actually the only choice you got is to change the entire module there.

Your linked pump works fine but the tank has to have at least part of the snap-in bracket the old style pump fit into removed. New pump style does not need it and must sit flat on tank floor.

https://www.fordcontour.org/topic/10804-returnless-fuel-pump-installation-instructions/

Go down about 1/3 the page to pic #8 or 'FDM retaining ring removal' page, tank is from a Contour but Focus is the same ring there. Some use a sharp knife or razor blade instead of the very expensive tool picced right above that one.

On the old pump the bottom of tank holds module in place, the later module is held in place by the top instead, the bottom of tank hitting objects often knocked the old pump loose. Why the new module has the steel rods in it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts