Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone disassembled the fuel pump to look at the brushes on its motor? Can it be reassembled once taken apart? I've got 160k miles on the new style replacement pump. I cut an access hole under the rear seat years ago when replacing the sock filter on the assembly, so it is easily accessible.

The reason I ask is, brushes are usually readily available for a variety of applications and I've read where 180k may be the life of these pumps. If I can look at the pumps brushes it might give me a heads up. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Don't think you can, or would want to, service that.

All I've seen are sealed & crimped together.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
They are shaped like none you've seen, believe me. Just under the plastic cover on the outlet end. The end cover is sealed in with the outside casing end being form-rolled over it, one time only thing and virtually impossible to replicate on a work bench. I've carefully pried up the rolled edge but thinking impossible to peen it back down with 100% seal there again, it has to begin with a pristine dead even edge, the prying destroys that.

From the little I've seen the brushes do not wear out so much as get thin enough they break up in pieces to lock the pump up, and harder to predict that event closely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts