Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2000 Focus ZTS that has been experiencing major problems regarding the fuel pump's inefficiency with distributing gas when the tank is less than 1/4 full and driven on a clover-leaf entrance to freeway. This has resulted in five stalls since Feb '04 that leave the vehicle inoperable, though able to start after 15 minutes. Last stall was a few days ago (6-30-05) while on less than 1/4 tank of gas after driving on a clover-leaf. Was not able to turn car over, resulting in a towage to Ford Dealership. Being told by Ford that the car is okay when they filled the gas tank, however these are not the conditions that have caused previous stallings. This will be the second $180 diagnostic fee I've paid to Ford, resulting in no alleviation or detection of my stalling problem. Was armed in both incidences with a Jan. '04 letter from Ford Corporate informing of certain 2000-2001 Focus' defective fuel pumps affecting customer safety. Being told now that that letter is not a recall notification, but just an FYI courtesy. Has anyone had this experience with Fords' reluctancy to replace their Focus' fuel pump and inappropriate diagnostics? Will attempt to contact Ford Corporate's 1-800 number after the July 4th holiday and seriously considering legal action. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated!! [?|]

Ah, the joys of owning a 2000 Focus. [:(!]

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Definately do something about it. I had the exact same problem as you and the dealer fixed it UNDER RECALL. It took a few hours and cost me zero. I must say I was well pleased with their service dept. The only thing is you have to have less than 100K on the car.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Find another dealer...I have an '02 and I've had my car in three times for the fuel pump and each time it was free of charge. The '00-'01s are in recall, and '02-'04 have extended warranties on the pump. If I can get mine serviced free of charge, you should be able to since its a recall item instead of warranty.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Oh so it's an actual recall for '00-'01s. I thought it was basically an extended warrenty and you could only get it replaced if it showed symptoms. Sort of like the DPFE sensor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thats bs, i had an 01 and the service dept knew exactly what the problem was and fixed it free of charge, no service charge either. Had it back the next day, i suggest you go to another dealership.

·
FF Veteran Goofball
5,741 Posts
Holy crap dude.... I have tons and tons of printed documentation regarding the fuel pump that I always have in the car with me. I had them handy when I went to have mine replaced (TWICE) but it wasn't necessary because the service people KNEW that it was to be done FREE OF CHARGE/RECALL even though I am not under warranty anymore.

Heck, I can be one tough bitch though if they pulled that shit on me... now kick some ass and tell them what's up.

(Has anyone still noticed hesitation even when it's replaced? I still do... and I wanna scream. At 45-50 it gets goofy and my mother's Contour was just replaced and it's still REALLY HESITANT as well. I told her to go back to the dealer and demand it be fixed. But she's too nice and prob won't... ugh.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Ford dealership is still working on my vehicle (11 days now). After a week in the shop, they said that nothing was wrong with my car and couldn't offer any suggestions as to why my car has been stalling when on 1/8-1/4 full of gas after a clover-leaf onto freeway since Feb 2004. They mentioned that all diagnostics was done with a 1/2 tank of gas...(!!!) [mad] Went in person and confronted my service advisor and he finally offered to replace my Focus' FDM. Was told that this FDM replacement would take one day. Tomorrow will make three days. Meanwhile racking up more than $250 for my rental car, not provided by Ford. My private insurance covers rental cars, however Ford claims that nothing is wrong with the car and the FDM replacement is only a request on my part, so they have no "problem" to report to my insurance company. The service here is soooo amazing. FYI, this is the only service facility for Ford on my island (O'ahu).

Have since ordered a 2005 Toyota Prius that should arrive from Japan in October. [wave] [8] [duh]

·
Registered
2 Posts
FDM Issues

Don't even get me started. I live in greater Phoenix, AZ area. Twice now I've had to have my 2000 ZTS towed in AFTER STALLING IN HEAVY TRAFFIC! Both times the car ran just fine when it got the mechanic. ARGGGG! And both times I sited the FDM silent recall. And both time was told that it couldn't be changed per Ford Motor Company unless they could diagnose the problem.

I found an independant mechanic and had him drop the tank while I watched. The inlet filter was caked with plastic particles that appear to have come from the fuel pump itself as it disintegrates in the tank.

Where do I file a claim for this!?

This is my 3rd and final Ford Product. If it hasn't happened already someone is going to get killed from these fuel pump failures. What really rubs me the wrong way is that the fact that I'm am very proactive when it comes to maintenance. This is something I have no control over.

OK I feel better now. Not really.

·
Subcompact Fanatic
2,175 Posts
This is off topic though

I think Im beginning to realize this fuel pump problem is for Zetec and not for SPI.
Mostly every problem with the pump, it's always a zetec owner thats posting it.

Which comes to wonder if there using the same pump design in the ZX2.
If it is than that really ackward that ZX2 never had fuel pump problems.

Can anyone comfirm this? Cuz this has puzzled me to the MAX.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts