Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has made access to the fuel pump, if so where do you cut your hole? Any other advice?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
so you don't have to drop the tank which is really annoying especially if you have never done it
You only have to disconnect the fuel filter, and pull it down, then undo the fuel tank straps and drop the front of the tank down. There is no need to disconnect the fuel filler or anything on the back of the tank. The longest I have seen a fuel pump on a Focus take, is 1/2 hour, and that was someone that had never done it before.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Seems like more trouble than it is worth to go through pulling up carpet and taking out interior to cut a hole and then fabbing something to keep it sealed afterwards to give you access to something that you will only need to get after once in a blue moon. That's just my two cents, though.

If you run a search there was a thread bout doing this very thing not too long ago.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Uh....are you talking about on a Second Generation? I've never changed the pump on a 2nd gen but on the 1st gen, no way it takes 20 minutes. There's all the hoses you have to remove, and it requires either a special tool to take Ford's hose clamps off, or some skill. To do it well, and for someone who has never done it before, you really need to take the entire tank out from under the car so you can properly remove the old pump.

To answer the question though, yes people have made access panels for it. Username: iminhell has done so and it looked great. THere's a photo floating around somewhere.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
20 mins LOL...

I had too loosen my exhaust from the hangers and also remove the heat shield
That exhaust shield only needs 2 retainers removeved, and bend it out of the way. There is no need to disconnect the hoses on the back of the tank, the front tips down and you get wide open easy access. Focus fuel pumps are some of the easiest I have ever done, and I have been an auto tech for the past 12 years.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
^^^i cleaned my entire tank out before I put the new pump and housing inside the tank so another reason I disconnected the fill up hose in the back of the tank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts